Licence??

rich crowther

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

The felling license applies to the site not the individual .

Depends on who you ask. I've been told it applies to the site but the FC web site states it applies to the owner.

From: https://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/FellingLicenceFAQJuly2005.pdf/$FILE/FellingLicenceFAQJuly2005.pdf

Q. What is the position with a landowner who has several separate landholdings throughout Britain? 

A. The allowance applies to the occupier of the land so:  If the separate landholdings are tenanted then the allowance applies separately to each tenancy.  If all the landholdings are simultaneously occupied by the landowner (which may be a business or a company) the 5 cubic metre allowance applies once across all the landholdings.

Which leads me on to the issue I have with felling licences. They may be easy if you have a large area of something simple but they can get complicated if you wish to work in an area of mixed woodland of various ages. And if you're only felling small areas some FC areas don't seem very interested.

I think the allowance should be relative to the area involved rather than an individual.

Edited by Paul in the woods
amend quote

3 minutes ago, Stubby said:

That would mean only the owner could do the felling .

I understand what you mean now, sorry. The licence to fell does apply to the site yes. Your 5 cubic meter per quarter applies to the owner so if you own a few pieces of woodland you still only get one lot of exempted volume.

4 hours ago, rich crowther said:

Seems complicated to me does it also apply to hung up windblows?

You can take out anything that could be dangerous. Also small trees (less than 8cm diameter at 4ft) can be felled.

There's a few other exemptions to but in most cases you'll need a licence.