Plastic tree guards/tubes etc

Stere

Guest Gimlet
10 hours ago, nemcc said:

...these guys went to university to lean about woodland management...

In a nutshell, all that's wrong with the world. 

Edited by Gimlet

I cannot even see the words tree tube without replaying this story in my head.

Over two decades ago I was working at Groombridge Place in East Sussex.

There was a hillside planted up with new trees and tree tubes that we had the task of strimming between the tubes, raking the grass down to the bottom and burning it.

After 10 or so days of strimming on a steep slope in the hot sun I was keen to speed the job up a bit (and save myself some work)

So I decided (while the boss was away) to make a series of smaller piles halfway down the hill and burn them.

So the dry wind picked up and soon enough we had a hillside on fire, we spent all afternoon desperately trying to put it out, but just when you thought you had it under control, a gust of dry wind would pick up a few embers and off we’d go again.

Anyway, the worst was the tree tubes, once they got going they’d pour molten plastic over the young trees, killing them. Those that for whatever reason didn’t have them were fine as the low intensity fire passed through them.

Thats a day I’ll never forget.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nepia said:

The place looks great now Mick - good job!

Came across this near it a couple of years back.

20160817_112443.jpg

20160817_112531.jpg

I last went to Groombridge around 2013, it had gotten a little shabby compared to 20 years earlier when I was there for a year or so.

Always good to see the planting that we did around those ponds coming down the woods.

Next time I’m back I must fit in a visit.

I do feel for the ants slugs and snails when removing tubes, but then the tubes will end up in the oceans eventually .... we're all doomed ☹

That is until  we make road surfaces, fence posts / panels,  road signs , park benches etched out of them.

But then again still in the stomach of sheep cattle and fish...

We're all doomed. 

As Prince Charles said decades ago we are the first generation to realise that the are destroying the planet and we are the last generation to able to anything about it .

Was asked to visit to quote for a tree planting job which had rabbit guards on the spec, in north London this week.  On site a previous contractor had planted a hedge with rabbit guards.

I expressed my surprise to the client that he had a rabbit problem (very urban location). 

He then responded with "no rabbits here only foxes"     

• Confused 1

• 4 years later...

Last local community new  woodland  planting effort  was using  some eco  tall cardboard ones on 1000's  of     short cell grown trees id be surprised if alot of the trees didn't die as virtually no light transmission

Shame 😏

Tree Guards - Ezee Tree

Any feeback on the eco options  the nexgen ones or others?

NEXGEN-TS.COM

NexGen Tree Shelters are made from British wool. Our tree guards are fully biodegradable and non-toxic and break down...