The science behind forced log drying

Woodwanter

14 minutes ago, gdh said:

I think around 100 depending how wet when it goes in but it's hard to work out because we also dry chip which is less efficient. I'll try to have a work out some time, I usually only work it annually so that could be way off.

100!? I meant energy in the fuel!

based on around half a ton / m3 I'd imagine around 5-6000 kWh depending on boiler efficiently!

8 minutes ago, Woodwanter said:

100!? I meant energy in the fuel!

based on around half a ton / m3 I'd imagine around 5-6000 kWh depending on boiler efficiently!

Oh sorry, that's to dry it. Not sure for firewood but I would think a lot less than that. 

We tried selling some at 8p a kW and it wasn't quite making £60 a cube. It's too late to backwork that now ;)

15 hours ago, Woodwanter said:

Can you share the break down for that please.

what do use for drying

Previous posts on Arbtalk have discussed the costs of drying in detail. A realistic cost appears to be circa. £ 10/ m3 buying in Softwood to dry then burning as boiler fuel without RHI as I don't think everyone factored in the true amount of labour involved, purchase and replacement of equipment and all associated running costs.

If you are in a rare situation where Tree Surgeons bring you free Arb arisings, which you can keep for a long time to be dry enough to burn of course this estimate would be reduced. Rings can however take up to 2 years even in stillages to reach even 25% MC.

• Like 1

On 26/02/2018 at 18:11, Martin du Preez said:

300 tonne for your own consumption!!!! wish my customers burnt as much as you!!!

Feel free to quote me for a years supply!

4 hours ago, Stere said:

Must be a large gaff? :001_rolleyes:

wa-1939-1945-aerial-view-of-the-abbey.jp

That looks about the size of the east wing ??