Does anyone demand payment on job completion?

flatyre

I get paid by chèque 95% of the time and have just spent half an hour writing chèques to suppliers and advertisers, put them in an envelope, stamped and addressed them, ready for posting.

Do I live in the 70s? Quite possibly!

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 2

Kin payment on completion ? Thats the sort of trick the Caravan Utilising Nomadic Tree Surgeons try and pull around here , bundle poor old Mrs Miggins into the truck and run her down to the cash point or building society .

Dont do that many private jobs but cant think of a single occasion when I have been paid on completion, my manager normally pops around a day or two after the job has been completed to check they are happy, office bint may at some point invoice within a week or two and a cheque or money transfer may turn up a week or two later. Commercial stuff can be anything up to ninety days.

Bob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheques do my head in. I live 20 mins from the nearest bank, it costs a couple of quid to park, that is if I manage to find anywhere, v rarely go into town anyway. Really if people want to pay by cheque I should add on 2 hours of my time to cash it- time lost! 

Most folk seem to pay Bacs though thank God. I wait about 14 days before I start hassling them for payment. Had a few Jokers who have managed to drag it out for months, one was for £4K and only way I could get payment was to accept in instalments and caused me some stress at the time. This kind of agro is the kind that makes me want to cease trading and the associated hassle.

I discuss it at quote stage Bob, it’s often part of when domestics want the job doing.

The only thing I get on credit is my mortgage, it’s pay on the day for me for everything else.

Seems to work well for most people.

I’m not selling an overpriced settee in a ‘biggest sale ever’.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

In all my years cutting, I've only had one guy really try it on.
After a few weeks of not paying,
I found calling his landline at 5 am everyday to remind him worked a treat.
emoji106.png

Just go round and knock on door automatically jogs there memory they have not pay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

In all my years cutting, I've only had one guy really try it on.
After a few weeks of not paying,
I found calling his landline at 5 am everyday to remind him worked a treat.
emoji106.png

I had it once from a certain car hire company that mixes English and American values over a sub-£100 job. I found that going into their busy offices where I had done the work and asking in front of their customers for the details of their head office so I could take them to court for non-payment seemed to do the trick. :thumbup1:

• Like 2