New business venture. Advice & guidance of the wise appreciated.

BobbyG

Thanks for the reply Andy. In my current job we have a 250 acre estate. So I  spend about 2 days a week grounding. I’ve got my cs 38/39 and hoping to build my climbing skills throughout the year with the more experienced climber at work. I’ve also been offered some weekend work with a local tree surgery company so will definitely take them up on that. 

I’m keen to get the cs41 done. Is there any other tickets that you would recommend?

Cheers. 

CS 40 aerial pruning is a good course to go on if you can afford it.
It will get you started in how to do good reductions and thins. I found it very practical and it really helped the quality of my work. It’s three days long and is a continuous assessment through the course so there’s no pass or fail at the end of it.
Hope it works well for you.
[emoji106]

Sounds like you've already got your start up plan sorted, I did something very similar to what your talking about. Took a bit longer than 2years to be able to be established enough to provide full time employment. Sub till you get there.now you need to stop talking and grab ya balls and go for it. Good luck, you'll need some determination and hard work to succeed 

• 2 months later...

Hi BobbyG,

Just wondered how you were getting on in your new venture??

I was in a similar situation but I have been climbing for almost 2 years and I did a year and a half with a great company and learned loads. I took a job also on an estate (1000 acres with my best mate) with lots of tree work and I am now looking to start on my own. I don't have a van and chipper just yet (have a 6x4 trailer) and if I get any large jobs that require I just hire them until I can sustain enough work to cut down to part-time in my current role.

I'm at the stage where I have to do the jobs on the weekends so some weeks can be busy but I hope as my reputation grows my business will grow with it.

I hope to get to the stage where I can work for myself and maybe even employ another climber but it all takes time.

I was looking for advice on where to take arisings from jobs if you don't have a yard or a place to store wood?

I read some good tips on hear like multiple places that will take wood chips and on a few jobs I have advertised on gumtree for free untreated wood and people come and take it away for you.

can anyone advise on what they did at the start of their business with all the timber and chip?

On 10/02/2018 at 11:01, BobbyG said:

Thanks for the advice Simon. I’ll checkout the posts you mentioned. I have the option to buy up to 2 weeks extra annual leave through my current job giving me a yearly entitlement of 45 days. This together with working  weekends should mean I don’t have to drop any days at my current job for a while. And the Mrs is the sort of girl who doesn’t mind getting her hands dirty so I’m sure she’ll come in useful along the way. 

Cheers for the reassurance Steve. 

Definately all the best but I wouldn't expect huge jump in income but certainly a huge jump in being bloody tired ! It's a hard road but yr Obvs thought a lot of angles through- I just hope there is the volume of clients out there fr you to make it fly. K

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 28/04/2018 at 19:02, Spooner said:

Hi BobbyG,

Just wondered how you were getting on in your new venture??

I was in a similar situation but I have been climbing for almost 2 years and I did a year and a half with a great company and learned loads. I took a job also on an estate (1000 acres with my best mate) with lots of tree work and I am now looking to start on my own. I don't have a van and chipper just yet (have a 6x4 trailer) and if I get any large jobs that require I just hire them until I can sustain enough work to cut down to part-time in my current role.

I'm at the stage where I have to do the jobs on the weekends so some weeks can be busy but I hope as my reputation grows my business will grow with it.

I hope to get to the stage where I can work for myself and maybe even employ another climber but it all takes time.

I was looking for advice on where to take arisings from jobs if you don't have a yard or a place to store wood?

I read some good tips on hear like multiple places that will take wood chips and on a few jobs I have advertised on gumtree for free untreated wood and people come and take it away for you.

can anyone advise on what they did at the start of their business with all the timber and chip?

Hi Spooner

Sounds like things are going well for you. I've been taking things slowly, but going well so far. Done a few big jobs at work that have boosted my confidence as well as my climbing ability and am continuing to read up on the industry etc.

Have done about 6/7 of my own jobs or as a subbie climber since I put the post up and it's still definitely the way I want to go. I haven't really started pushing for work yet as I still don't have a tipper so have just taken jobs that have came my way where I can leave the arisings on site. Once I have a tipper I plan to get things set up as a proper business, start advertising, get a logo made up etc. and will then get a chipper when I can. In the meantime, like you, I'll hire one as and when I need.

As far as arisings go I've seen people putting up adverts on the Facebook buy and sell groups to get rid of logs and wood chip and I guess you could also ask local farmers if you have any of them around by you. I'm sure other people on here will have a better idea then me though.

All the best with things in the future!      

• Like 1

Good luck.

One book I reckon everyone should have is the Fundementals of General treework by Gerry Beranek.  

It is a true gem.

Sadly it is out of print but there are a few second hand copies floating about.

There is a digital download available though.  There is a thread on here somewhere I think.  Try the search engine.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks fellas, I’ll check out that book.

I’ve just sent a message off to Myerscough collage inquiring about the online version of their Level 4 Certificate in Arboriculture. Hoping I might be able to get my current employer to fund it.