New business venture. Advice & guidance of the wise appreciated.

BobbyG

Good morning.

My first post on the forum, although I have spent a lot of time over past months reading info from knowledgeable people on here. The long & short of it is I’m looking at setting up my own business this year and any advice/guidance from people who have been there and done it would be greatly appreciated. 

Currently working at a garden in the in the South West. It’s a nice job but but only paying 17k a year and can’t see that going up a great deal in the near future. I’m 30 next week and with kids likely to appear in the not too distant future I think now is the time to pull my finger out and get something of my own set up. 

I’ve been in estate management for the past 4 years and before that I spent about 6 years in horticulture. Tree/chainsaw work probably makes up 50% of my current job role. Over the past 2/3 years I’ve found that it’s  tree work were my true interest and passion lies.

I have a varied skill set and am not shy of hard work. I’ve held my cs 30/31 for about 3 years and have just recently got my 38/39. I have lost of chainsaw/chipper/groundwork experience and am looking to improve as a climber throughout this year. 

So basically (if you’re still listening after all that waffle) towards the end of this year I’m looking at getting a 3.5T tipper and chipper and starting up my own thing. Hoping to do a mix of climbing for myself/other people as well as subbing my self as someone with a chipper and tipper. I’ve got vehicle storage and also room to store logs/chip. 

Im going to reduce myself down to 3 days a week at my current job and just start with this 2/3 days a week and then hopefully transition fully over a 12/24 month period. I have lads at work who can be grounds men until it’s worth taking someone on and also the more experienced climber I work with is keen to give me a hand when needed. 

Im hoping to get set up with about 12k (could push this a bit more if needed) and going to slowly buy equipment over the year when things come up at the right price. I’m going to increase my arb knowledge as much as possible by working alongside the more experienced climber at work as well as reading up on principles/practices in my own time. 

So, am I being realistic here? I know Arboriculture isn’t a get rich quick scheme and it’s hard work. But I enjoy the work and from my research so far I’m confident that once established I should be able to bring home more than my current salary at the end of the month. 

If anyone has any input that would be great.

Is any time of year better/worse to start ab arb business? And if anyone could tell me their 3/4 most valued books on Arboriculture that would be great (esp to do with rigging and tree pruning/reduction). 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I hope over the coming years I can become a valued member of the community. 

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Andy. In my current job we have a 250 acre estate. So I  spend about 2 days a week grounding. I’ve got my cs 38/39 and hoping to build my climbing skills throughout the year with the more experienced climber at work. I’ve also been offered some weekend work with a local tree surgery company so will definitely take them up on that. 

I’m keen to get the cs41 done. Is there any other tickets that you would recommend?

Cheers. 

• Like 1

Get a decent climber in and you stay on the ground. To start with, just use a trailer to remove brash no need to splash out and buy a van & Chipper straight away. 

Buy tools as and when needed, and for lowering, a rope over a crotch will be enough to get you started and keep costs to a minimum.

Keep the day job for as long as possible and work weekends, bring the Mrs in to help as they don,t need paying. (Luckily mine has gone shopping so wont read this.)

Above all, you will know this. Dont get into debt.

Been going 6yrs and to start with got a lot of advise from reading Steve Blair and Tom D posts. They covered everything from marketing, quoting and working efficiently.

• Like 4

Thanks for the advice Simon. I’ll checkout the posts you mentioned. I have the option to buy up to 2 weeks extra annual leave through my current job giving me a yearly entitlement of 45 days. This together with working  weekends should mean I don’t have to drop any days at my current job for a while. And the Mrs is the sort of girl who doesn’t mind getting her hands dirty so I’m sure she’ll come in useful along the way. 

Cheers for the reassurance Steve. 

Sounds like you have a good plan! enough money to set up, good level of related experience, good contacts and a good attitude! Go for it!

My recommended books would be: 

Essential Pruning Techniques - by George Brown/Tony Kirkham of Kew - covers all shrubs and trees species you are likely to encounter

Trees their Naturual history - Peter Thomas - Excellent beginner book for a better understanding of tree biology

BS3998 - BRISTISH STANDARDS FOR TREEWORK

Diagnosis of ill-health in trees - Forestry Comission - Covers Pests and diseases

The tree climber's companion - Jeff Jepson - Tree climber's manual

Field guide for Visual Tree assessment - Mattheck -  start learning about tree morphology, it will make you a better climber and help to prescribe the best reccomendations

2 hours ago, BobbyG said:

Good morning.

My first post on the forum, although I have spent a lot of time over past months reading info from knowledgeable people on here. The long & short of it is I’m looking at setting up my own business this year and any advice/guidance from people who have been there and done it would be greatly appreciated. 

Currently working at a garden in the in the South West. It’s a nice job but but only paying 17k a year and can’t see that going up a great deal in the near future. I’m 30 next week and with kids likely to appear in the not too distant future I think now is the time to pull my finger out and get something of my own set up. 

I’ve been in estate management for the past 4 years and before that I spent about 6 years in horticulture. Tree/chainsaw work probably makes up 50% of my current job role. Over the past 2/3 years I’ve found that it’s  tree work were my true interest and passion lies.

I have a varied skill set and am not shy of hard work. I’ve held my cs 30/31 for about 3 years and have just recently got my 38/39. I have lost of chainsaw/chipper/groundwork experience and am looking to improve as a climber throughout this year. 

So basically (if you’re still listening after all that waffle) towards the end of this year I’m looking at getting a 3.5T tipper and chipper and starting up my own thing. Hoping to do a mix of climbing for myself/other people as well as subbing my self as someone with a chipper and tipper. I’ve got vehicle storage and also room to store logs/chip. 

Im going to reduce myself down to 3 days a week at my current job and just start with this 2/3 days a week and then hopefully transition fully over a 12/24 month period. I have lads at work who can be grounds men until it’s worth taking someone on and also the more experienced climber I work with is keen to give me a hand when needed. 

Im hoping to get set up with about 12k (could push this a bit more if needed) and going to slowly buy equipment over the year when things come up at the right price. I’m going to increase my arb knowledge as much as possible by working alongside the more experienced climber at work as well as reading up on principles/practices in my own time. 

So, am I being realistic here? I know Arboriculture isn’t a get rich quick scheme and it’s hard work. But I enjoy the work and from my research so far I’m confident that once established I should be able to bring home more than my current salary at the end of the month. 

If anyone has any input that would be great.

Is any time of year better/worse to start ab arb business? And if anyone could tell me their 3/4 most valued books on Arboriculture that would be great (esp to do with rigging and tree pruning/reduction). 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I hope over the coming years I can become a valued member of the community. 

Cheers,

Rob

Sounds like a plan, a good one at that.

Best of luck.

Thanks Treeation. I’m currently making my way through the Field guide for Visual Tree assessment by Mattheck (is the dog on the back photoshopped?). We have a copy of Diagnosis of ill-health in trees - Forestry Comission at work so I’ll take a look at that soon. I’ll try and get my hands on the others you mentioned. 

Thanks Mick. It’s nice to know I’m on the right track.

2 minutes ago, BobbyG said:

Thanks Treeation. I’m currently making my way through the Field guide for Visual Tree assessment by Mattheck (is the dog on the back photoshopped?). We have a copy of Diagnosis of ill-health in trees - Forestry Comission at work so I’ll take a look at that soon. I’ll try and get my hands on the others you mentioned. 

Thanks Mick. It’s nice to know I’m on the right track.

Haha! It totally is!

• Like 1