Recovery winch for tree work.

thetoolnut

Have a 12v Winchmax 13500lb on front of 130 landy, even with a 3 layers on drum it will pull truck with full load and foot on brake. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRIC-WINCH-12V-4x4-13500-lb-WINCHMAX-BRAND-RECOVERY-OFF-ROAD-WIRELESS/130991727431?epid=3009766324&hash=item1e7fb72347:g:zjwAAOSwjPdZyLrC

• Like 3

9 hours ago, woody paul said:

Have a 12v Winchmax 13500lb on front of 130 landy, even with a 3 layers on drum it will pull truck with full load and foot on brake. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRIC-WINCH-12V-4x4-13500-lb-WINCHMAX-BRAND-RECOVERY-OFF-ROAD-WIRELESS/130991727431?epid=3009766324&hash=item1e7fb72347:g:zjwAAOSwjPdZyLrC

I’d agree - Winchmax are excellent. Very powerful, very reliable and amazing value for money.

Any electric winch working hard and for long periods of time will soon show you any issues you have with your battery though.

10 hours ago, woody paul said:

I had one of these on my last truck, basic but brilliant, I will be buying another when funds allow.

Superwinch is a posh brand, and spends more on marketing. IMHO, thats all there is in it. Superwinch comes with a shinier finish. Winchmax will do synthetic rope, however for dragging trees through mud steel braid is more durable.

I contacted Winchmax once to get some parts, (drove over winch remote in the dark) and he said he can sell cheaper as he has less overheads. AFAIK nearly all winches are made in the far east, Winchmax just don't have as many frills on them. My one was used and abused, but never let me down.

Essential to fitting any winch to a vehicle is to fit a cut off switch to the power, as they can do strange things if the solenoids get wet.

• Like 1

Superwinch is a posh brand, and spends more on marketing. IMHO, thats all there is in it. Superwinch comes with a shinier finish. Winchmax will do synthetic rope, however for dragging trees through mud steel braid is more durable.

I contacted Winchmax once to get some parts, (drove over winch remote in the dark) and he said he can sell cheaper as he has less overheads. AFAIK nearly all winches are made in the far east, Winchmax just don't have as many frills on them. My one was used and abused, but never let me down.

Essential to fitting any winch to a vehicle is to fit a cut off switch to the power, as they can do strange things if the solenoids get wet.
Thanks, also i've heard it's good practice to split the load between two batteries. My '03 Hilux has two 12v batteries wired in parallel so one would be tapping power off both so as not to drain one battery completely i believe. Correct?