HELP - Oak slab advice needed

Joe_bradshaw

Looking for some advice, I milled an Oak slab from a stem I felled about 5yrs ago which I then let sit for about 2yrs before bringing it in the garage to work it, figuring it would be sufficiently seasoned. I was planning on turning it into a table so I’ve planed it and started sanding however it’s developing a crack which I’m convinced is spreading. This is my first attempt so excuse my ignorance but is it likely to simply split in two and if so is it doomed or can something be done to prevent it? I’ve attached a couple of pics which don’t show it fantastically. It’s a really nice piece and I’ve invested a lot of time into it now so don’t want to give up on it too easily similarly I also don’t want to press on and get rid of my existing dining table if it’s days are numbered. Any advice would be much appreciated!

thanks in advance, Joe

4D29A697-C7F2-40CA-9F7E-99DA398B2C0A.jpeg

B59F653D-AD46-4076-A4DD-69ECA4E92716.jpeg

C6CDCE24-2B08-455B-B2AF-4098983439E1.jpeg

1EC5DEE6-BAF0-4C5B-B0A2-17382D80AE19.jpeg

36CFC3C7-A4E0-4A22-BE32-9B8E3DDA8B4B.jpeg

Hi there are a few things you could do , leave it for a few wks then take it in your house for another month or more if you can let it move then fill the cracks with resin, metal powder,glow in the dark powder , or incase the whole thing in resin or just live with it I bought that it would crack kin half what ever you decide it should look cool do post some pics when it's done.

Cheers Mark

Thanks for the tips, think I’ll see how it responds and maybe put in some ties, I’d like it to look as natural as possible so treatment is the next hurdle. 

Id not heard of browning before looked into it and definitely think the fungus has played a part in the colouring. Made these shelves from a thinner slab from the same stem. Not great pics but you get the idea, the black mark is from 3 nice chunky cast iron nails which did wonders for the ripping chain.96C3559A-DFDE-4A11-A539-516A9ACF20C3.thumb.jpeg.065874e4e62f897c390719fa1e6ed89d.jpegE1BEA470-B58B-41E3-A19A-8CE6241E2CBB.thumb.jpeg.6629c57c2b1b4c4575bb2af26e099f40.jpeg

633EDEAE-0907-40E9-83CB-79C2B7043838.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...