Info Card For Customers To Stop Issues

leotandoh12

HI People

Im having a few issues with new customers and some existing with regards to the quailty of our logs. In reality its about  2-  3 cube every hundred, but its always seems to start happening at this time of the year and mostly is down to wet/damp as apossed to unseasoned. Most of it I have resolved and is nearly always down to poor knowledge of the customer or poor storage. One of my good friends now has an issue, but it is simply down to storage ( wheelie bins) and he collected in the rain, so complaining the logs are wet. He wants to swap but I said its a refund or nothing as im 100% sure its not my logs.

I have been toying with the idea of info cards for every customer, new and old, no matter if they have 1 cube or 15. Im thinking basic info regarding storage, maximising airflow, keeping off the ground etc and also T's + C's. I have been running the system of refund over replace, unless its a genuine problem, ie 15inch logs instead of 8inch, but need to have a solid way to enforce it.  Also they need to be returned to the delivered location if they want a refund and that there is a cut off of 1 week if they are unhappy.  They also have to keep the card if they wat a refund.

Im also thinking of testing 3 randoms logs per load and measuring the moisture content and recording it on the card. However Im not sure that this wouldnt be a way of shooting myself in the foot if the moisture is higher than the recommended mositure for the burner.

What do you guys think do any of you do this already. Although its only a few but its weaing me down alittle.

Thanks.

It's all down to storage. You deliver dry firewood, now it's down to the customer. So often they go into an almost air tight container where the remaining moisture just hangs.

The idea of an info card is great, cheap, factual, covers your arse. Go for it. Moisture test a few in front of the customer, info card, paid and go.

As a firewood buyer, this would be helpful. I've had several loads recently, been told they're very dry, seasoned for 2 years or whatever, and most have been over 25% moisture. Some over 70%! This isn't just because the logs were delivered in the rain (though one load was) but I think because they haven't been properly seasoned after splitting.

Surface water from rain dries fairly quickly and easily (as long as the logs are stored out of the rain and with some airflow after delivery), but internal moisture is more of a pain. 

Exactly! So if they don't have this sort of info about their logs I'd be inclined to go elsewhere. And even if they do make something up, I can then test the logs and if they don't match the promised moisture figure I've got firm grounds to complain. If they just say the logs are seasoned, to me that means <25% moisture at least, hopefully <20%. But to them that might just mean it's been in the shed for a few weeks.

Cheers for the replies guys. I popped by to see my friend this evening and the bins are most definitly the issue.

I would probably say barnstored air dried wood would be between 24% and 30% at this time of the year. Depending on weather and humindity the moisture content will raise and lower. What was measured at 20% in the summer will be around 28% now, especailly with the rain we have had resently.

• Like 1

I had an issue with one of my customers a few years ago, were he complained of logs going mouldy in the nets, 

After a few questions to try to get to the bottom of it, it turned out he had started to store them in a damp redundant farm shop which was near enough air tight with no form of heating or ventilation, 

Asked him to store the logs outside in one of the sheds, never been a problem since 

22 hours ago, leotandoh12 said:

Yeah this seems to be the main problem, poor storage. Although having just spoken to my friend on the phone he still ahving issues even with my super dry logs from my own store. We have now sourced it to either poor operating of burner or tht theres a fault with it (only a few months old)

Unlikely to be a stove fault even if its a crap quality one.  One issue often overlooked is log DIAMETER,  big logs to not burn well as you need turbulence in the fire for optimum results.   So no bigger than 100mm average,  so a wedge shaped lump no wider than 200mm at the wide end.   A 200mm log should be split 2 ways,  a 250mm 4 ways.   99% of the time its poor quality fuel going into the stove but sometimes its log diameters or a restricted flue.

A