Veterinaising young trees - Pollards with standards

Treeation

14 hours ago, sean said:

Brilliant and very interesting project. I’m in Bristol and would love to visit if you’d be happy to have me? 

Yeah give us a pm at some point, probably best around summer when the grounds nice and dry as its a bit of trek over flat fields to get to it!

15 hours ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

If only you'd posted before Christmas - I've just been looking at exactly this for my Level 4 Cert Arb!

What a great project to be involved in.  Is there much yet recorded in terms of an increase in biodiversity species-wise?

Shame i'm in Scotland or I'd also be after getting a look.

Cheers.

Hiya, theres no scientific element to this little project, I have tried to get other people with scientific backgrounds involved but never quite happenend. Mostly based on my experience and learning of working for a wildlife trust for a while and attending ancient tree foruum seminars and an inspriring visit to see the burnam beech pollards which is kind of my long term aspiration for this project. and always had an interest in the conservation side of things, although most of work now is domestic tree surgery. Working in the woods is my chillout time.....no customers to deal with, I can be messy, cook a bacon sandwich at lunch and on enjoy nature  at its best!

• Like 5

Interesting project Treeation, some of your handywork looks very similar to what the wildlife had done to my young woodland. The bored cavity looks similar to where deer have frayed bark and squirrels and canker have created similar scars and growth to your ringbarked pollard. I did have  fair bit of standing deadwood due to some alders dying but they've been felled by the woodpeckers!

• Like 1