Veterinaising young trees - Pollards with standards

Treeation

46 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Are you or would you be happy about that?

Of course not but I have no real say in where my taxes are spent but I am far happier for them to be spent increasing bio diversity rather than destroying it. 

Edited by sean
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AHPP said:

You may personally be. I'm personally not. If so many of you really do want to to contribute to these experiments, your voluntary contributions should cover the cost without the need to force mine.

In your eyes, what should your contrbutions be spent on then?

20 minutes ago, sean said:

Of course not but I have no real say in where my taxes are spent but I am far happier for them to be spent increasing bio diversity rather than destroying it. 

So the government took a load of your money and spent it on poisoning and now you trust them with more of your money? Trust them enough to buy into a scheme you happen to like that is. Ideologically flexible.

Of course that's not really the point though. If 51% of people like poisoning, maybe 100% of people should pay for it. Or perhaps if 51% of people like poisoning, maybe that 51% should pay for it and the other 49% should spend what they want on what they like.

18 minutes ago, Bolt said:

In your eyes, what should your contrbutions be spent on then?

Big question. Not 100% sure. Law enforcement, probably an army, probably some other stuff (but nowhere near as much nonsense as is currently funded by taxation).

1 minute ago, AHPP said:

Big question. Not 100% sure. Law enforcement, probably an army, probably some other stuff (but nowhere near as much nonsense as is currently funded by taxation).

"Not 100% sure"

"Probably some other stuff"

I am not totally sure you thought this through before making your initial comment, did you.

1 hour ago, Alinicoll said:

Thanks for sharing this with us.

It's good to see some ongoing documentation of your project, I look forward to seeing more in the future.

Loving the ring-bark pollard idea. Is that something you came up with? I might use that idea myself. It would be interesting to see how second and third cuts go using that technique. Is that something you're planning to do?

Cheers Ali, I think the ring bark pollarding may have be inspired by someone at the ATF seminar who talked about doing crown reductions by ringbarking each cut point to leave some aerial dead.....I like the idea as it is so quick and cost effective but also leaves a cracking bit of aerial dead, I imagine by the time I fininsh a pollard rotation that the aerial, ringbarked stem will have snapped off and by lying on the floor! But theres a few years to go so have to see what happens......I might just do a coupe of ring barked pollards one year to add some variation into the scheme........

7 minutes ago, Bolt said:

"Not 100% sure"

"Probably some other stuff"

I am not totally sure you thought this through before making your initial comment, did you.

I've put a fair bit of thought into my political ideology. If 0 is complete anarchy and 10 is complete totalitarianism, I'm about a 3, a moderate libertarian.

5 minutes ago, AHPP said:

I've put a fair bit of thought into my political ideology. If 0 is complete anarchy and 10 is complete totalitarianism, I'm about a 3, a moderate libertarian.

So, to summarise, you describe yourself as a moderate libertarian who would mainly fund armies and police forces.

Nice  :- )

Edited by Bolt