Birkbeck free public lectures - The World and Nature of Fungi

David Humphries

Series of free lectures on fungi at Birkbeck University 

Can't attend any of these myself, but have been before and got lots out of them

http://www.bbk.ac.uk/geography/our-research/ecss/free-public-lectures

9th February - Recording fungi in the 21st Century - the challenges and problems for both enthusiasts and professionals. Geoffrey Kibby, Associate Researcher Mycology, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew; author of many guides to mushrooms and toadstools.

16th February - Old trees and fungi and biological continuity. Ted Green, Founder President of Ancient Trees Forum, honorary lecturer Imperial College, University of London, Vice President of the International Tree Foundation and Conservation Consultant to the Crown Estate, Windsor.

23rd February - Fungal symbiosis with plants. Martin Bidartondo, Reader in Molecular Ecology, Imperial College London & Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.

2nd March - Tackling emerging fungal threats to animal health, food security and ecosystem resilience.Matthew Fisher, Professor of Fungal Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College London

9th March - Opportunistic fungi and damage to heritage buildings and collections. Sophie Downes, Birkbeck Biology

16th March - Ash dieback. Maryam Rafiki, Researcher, Jodrell Laboratory, Kew.

33 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Any chance they will be available online afterwards?

I don't know, though there is a published reading list associated with the speakers.

The World and Nature of Fungi – list of further reading

Alexander, K. & Green, T. 2013. The nature conservation work of the Crown Estate in Windsor Forest and Great Park. British Wildlife 24(5):305-315.

Alexander, K., Butler, J. & Green, T. 2006. The value of different tree and shrub species to wildlife. British Wildlife. 18(1):18-28..

Bidartondo, M.I. 2005. The evolutionary ecology of myco-heterotrophy. New Phytologist 167:335–352.

Bidartondo, M.I., Read, D.J., Trappe, J.M., et al., 2011, The dawn of symbiosis between plants and fungi, Biology Letters. 7:574-577.

Campbell, C.R. 2012. Frog skin epithelium: Electrolyte transport and chytridiomycosis. The International Journal of Biochemistry & Cell Biology 44: 431-434.

Chytridcrisis blog: https://chytridcrisis.wordpress.com

Collier, F.A., Bidartondo, M.I., 2009. Waiting for fungi: the ectomycorrhizal invasion of lowland heathlands. Journal of Ecology, 97:950-963.

Field, K.J. et al. 2015. Symbiotic options for the conquest of land. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 30(8):477-486.

Fisher, M. et al. 2012. Emerging fungal threats to animal, plant and ecosystem health. Nature 484:186-194.

Fisher, M.C., Gow, N.A.R., Gurr, S.J.. 2016 Tackling emerging fungal threats

to animal health, food security and ecosystem resilience. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B 371: 20160332. http://dx.doi.org/10.1098/rstb.2016.0332

Fisher, M., Gow, N.A.R. & Gurr, S.J. (eds) 2016. Discussion meeting issue ‘Tackling emerging fungal threats to animal health, food security and ecosystem resilience’ Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B, Biological Sciences 371(1709) bit.ly/PTB1709

Garner, T.W.J. 2012. Chytrid Fungus in Europe. Emerging infectious diseases 11:1639–1641. doi:10.3201/eid1110.050109

Kibby, G. 2017. Mushrooms and Toadstools of Britain & Europe, Volume 1: Puffballs, Earthstars, Stinkhorns, Chanterelles, Toothed Fungi, Club Fungi, Coral Fungi, Polypores, Crust Fungi, Boletes & Their Relatives, Russula & Milkcaps

Kowal, J. et al. 2016. Liverworts to the rescue: an investigation of their efficacy as mycorrhizal inoculum for vascular plants. Functional Ecology 30:1014–1023.

McMullen, M. et al. The ash dieback invasion of Europe was founded by two individuals from a native population with huge adaptive potential. http://dx.doi.org/10.1101/146746

Merckx, V.S.F.T., Gomes, S.I.F., Wapstra, M. et al., 2017. The biogeographical history of the interaction between mycoheterotrophic Thismia (Thismiaceae) plants and mycorrhizal Rhizophagus (Glomeraceae) fungi. Journal of Biogeography, 44:1869-1879.

Simpson, J. & Barley, L. 2012. Ensuring ancient trees for the future. Guidelines for oak bollard creation. Quarterly Journal of Forestry 157:277-286.

Suz, L.M., Barsoum, N., Benham, S., et al., 2014. Environmental drivers of ectomycorrhizal communities in Europe's temperate oak forests. Molecular Ecology 23(22):5628-44.

Suz, L.M., Barsoum, N., Benham, S., et al., 2015. Monitoring ectomycorrhizal fungi at large scales for science, forest management, fungal conservation and environmental policy Annals of Forest Science 9pp.

Voyles, J. et al. 2007. Electrolyte depletion and osmotic imbalance in amphibians with chytridiomycosis. Diseases of aquatic organisms 77:113–118 doi: 10.3354/dao01838

It just so happens that I have annual leave and about a million hours of flexi time to use up, so what a wonderfully geeky way to use some of it. 

I'll have a proper look through the itenerary and see what I can get away with booking. 

Top man for posting :thumbup1:

(Yes, I do realise they're evening lectures. But they're still a good excuse for a day off). 

Edited by janey
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Any chance they will be available online afterwards?

That would be nice, I don't really fancy a couple of 500 mile round trips, even to listen to Ted Green for an evening :sneaky2:

Come Mr Humpheries, you're a man of influence, get it sorted:D

Edited by Gary Prentice