My Third Removal

Thanks 4 replies, yes I was on spikes, just left long stubs for more comfortable positioning - I cut them flush on the way down, just leaving a few for footrests. I'm gonna have to wash my gear, will try the soap flakes if I can't get rope soap soon.

Beal do a rope cleaning detergent. Most big Arb suppliers have it.
[emoji106]

44 minutes ago, TIMON said:

Beal do a rope cleaning detergent. Most big Arb suppliers have it.
emoji106.png

Olive oil is good for breaking down heavy deposits of sap.  I'd try to put more faith in your spiking ability and leave fewer stubs.  Once you get used to no stubs, things go easier.  It's a pain when you have to untangle something from a stub.

Edited by Mark J
  • Like 1

Olive oil is good for breaking down heavy deposits of sap.  I'd try to put more faith in your spiking ability and leave fewer stubs.  Once you get used to no stubs, things go easier.  It's a pain when you have to untangle something from a stub.

Never heard about the olive oil one before.... although I have used warm drops to break up earwax when I had an ear infection (nice derail).

Stubs are super annoying.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark J said:

Yes, agree about stubs tangling the access line. The thing is I can only take so many minutes on spikes alone before my feet and knees start hurting, so the stubs are just for comfort. I place my feet carefully, so the gaff is embedded as well as the stub taking some of my weight, do a few gyrations and such to confirm everything is sound before cutting etc. Maybe with really good spikes I would not need to, but I bought the treehog budget option as they were on sale. Also the odd stub keeps the rope out of the danger zone of getting spiked. I priced the job at 300 euros, (and had to fight for it) and my groundy got 200 of that. Wont do similar job again for that price, but it was good experience and confidence building. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Yes, agree about stubs tangling the access line. The thing is I can only take so many minutes on spikes alone before my feet and knees start hurting, so the stubs are just for comfort. I place my feet carefully, so the gaff is embedded as well as the stub taking some of my weight, do a few gyrations and such to confirm everything is sound before cutting etc. Maybe with really good spikes I would not need to, but I bought the treehog budget option as they were on sale. Also the odd stub keeps the rope out of the danger zone of getting spiked. I priced the job at 300 euros, (and had to fight for it) and my groundy got 200 of that. Wont do similar job again for that price, but it was good experience and confidence building. 

You might find that adjusting the length of the shaft of your spikes helps a bit, or, it may be that they're naff spikes.   I find that the top pad should be about two fingers width below my knee. You can always add a bit onto each job and buy some new spikes, it's always handy to have a spare pair for rescue kit or if you leave yours on site somewhere.  Well done getting the job done.

Edited by Mark J
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

I don't mean to come across as an arsehole, but do you think the price was under, or you weren't efficient enough?

I obviously don't know the job, but ill wager a decent two man team would have made shorter work of it by climbing the tree properly and using a climbing saw to clear the branches and section down the stem. 

Regarding sap on kit, I find it comes off with the next climb or two. If its completely gunned up it goes in the washing machine when the mrs is out. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Good effort Hairy :) an I trust many more , actually yr stubbyness aint a bad thing , plenty of comforting foot holds whilst yr getting into the swing of stem dismantles  , however I broke a riib on one such stub , an it aint funny ! K

So how is it not a bad thing?