My Third Removal

So did my third proper conifer removal yesterday, the first being a leyland cyprus and the 2nd and 3rd a pair of sitka spruces. Counted rings about 35 years old, two feet at the base and about 18m tall we estimated. Tough work if you're not used to it. Went up the first stem on my own and cleaned all the branches with a handsaw, then the next two afternoons came back with my pal and finished with chainsaw. Got them down to about 5m then straight fell. Phone line on one side, under and through the boughs, so was pulling the bigger ones with a tag line and directional cut. All finished without incident.

One thing though, my rope and lanyards are mankey with resin now. I have two Finch lanyards, and they both became virtually unusable by the end of the second day, the rope just jamming in the cam. So frustrating, and very hard on the arms...I'm wondering, does anyone here use a Petzl Zillon lanyard, with the mini-zigzag? If so, how does that fare with resin?

20180205_122832.thumb.jpeg.d4d8fa7916a9898498ee8a45e69644b6.jpeg 

20180205_142021.jpeg

Edited by Haironyourchest
  • Like 2

I nearly did the same a couple of years back, after going to the trouble of buying all the new kit and learning how to use it, a friend asked me to chop one of those tree's down..    not been at it five minutes and started to get covered in sticky gunk...

My solution was to go back to old school..   ladder to get into the tree, then some crappy rope to tie in if needed..   free climbed it for the most part..

My feeling were I wasn't spending hundreds to get it all full of shit for an old tree like that..   its not as though those kinds of tree's are hard to get down, straight up, chopping as you go, then work down chopping the stem..   

Kit is washable, and sap and resin come out with warm water and soap flakes.
Climbing on “old crappy rope” isn’t the best idea but you probably know that already [emoji849][emoji41] and in the event of a mishap would void any insurance you may (or may not) have.
Just saying, like....
[emoji106]

• Like 1

I don't envy you the Sitka take downs. They are my least favourite tree to work on and should never be planted as an amenity tree (imo). Judging by the long pegs in the photo I assume you have not got any spikes yet (?). I would strongly recommend getting some as those long stubs can be a real pain and even a safety hazard when topping down.  As Timon says, your ropes and webbing can all be washed with non-bio detergent.  Just make sure it thoroughly dry before putting it away in a bag as any metal gear in contact with it can corrode very easily.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arctostaphylos uva-ursi said:

I don't envy you the Sitka take downs. They are my least favourite tree to work on and should never be planted as an amenity tree (imo). Judging by the long pegs in the photo I assume you have not got any spikes yet (?). I would strongly recommend getting some as those long stubs can be a real pain and even a safety hazard when topping down.  As Timon says, your ropes and webbing can all be washed with non-bio detergent.  Just make sure it thoroughly dry before putting it away in a bag as any metal gear in contact with it can corrode very easily.

50 minutes ago, stihlmadasever said:

I use a zillion at work,its not great,the art positioner is miles better.

Next time your up a conifer use spikes so you dont leave pegs for footholds.

If you slip, a peg in the ribs would be very very painfull

If you have to leave pegs because you've forgotten/ haven't yet bought spikes, then have a think about where you leave them.  By only leaving the one's you need, there's much less chance of inadvertently breaking a rib or two should you slip..

Edited by Mark J
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TIMON said:

Kit is washable, and sap and resin come out with warm water and soap flakes.
Climbing on “old crappy rope” isn’t the best idea but you probably know that already emoji849.pngemoji41.png and in the event of a mishap would void any insurance you may (or may not) have.
Just saying, like....
emoji106.png

when I say old crappy rope I mean good rope you don't mind binning afterwards if its full of shit..   you only need to make a small length to make a makeshift lanyard..   

whats better, ruining a good rope or using something you can throw away?..   I'll use the throwaway if I have to..  

when I say old crappy rope I mean good rope you don't mind binning afterwards if its full of shit..   you only need to make a small length to make a makeshift lanyard..   

whats better, ruining a good rope or using something you can throw away?..   I'll use the throwaway if I have to..  

Each to his own.... but I’d prefer to wash useable rope rather than chuck it just cos it’s got sappy.

11 minutes ago, TIMON said:

Each to his own.... but I’d prefer to wash useable rope rather than chuck it just cos it’s got sappy.

no one said you couldn't wash it if you wanted to..   heres a thing, have a dozen lanyards to hand, get a crap tree use the one you don't mind getting full of shit.. you can wash it afterwards..   is there a law against having as many lanyards as you want?..

• Like 1