Ripped off by tree surgeons

Martin95

Yes, quote from long standing business more than happy to do job and take timber for fire wood.

Not unusual for such a wide range in quotes, had site clearance were contractor was looking to pay us due to volume of saleable timber on site where others wanted paid thousands.   

• Like 2

On 12/02/2018 at 20:30, Haironyourchest said:

Well, actually it sometimes is. Just to be pedantic, if the local pub chainsaw guy did hurt himself, and sued, the homeowner would only become liable if negligence could be proven. Or proven "enough" to convince the court. If the pub guy represented himself as an experienced and competent operator (and remember in the eyes of the law tickets are not the only indicator of competence) - given his reputation and self affermation as such - then the homeowner would have satisfied the duty of care. If the pub guy turned out to be lying about his level of competency, then how could the homeowner be expected to know? That the the crux of negligence - if you knew and didn't/did do somthing about it, then its negligence. If you genuinely did not know, then you cannot be convicted of negligence.

OK. When I said bloke down the pub I meant the usual translation of 'a bloke down the pub' being someone who you know is blagging it, not actually a bloke down the pub who could be running a 200 man outfit.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mesterh said:

OK. When I said bloke down the pub I meant the usual translation of 'a bloke down the pub' being someone who you know is blagging it, not actually a bloke down the pub who could be running a 200 man outfit.

Understood, but still if it came to court, the landowner will be pushing his narrative and the pub guy pushing another. If it comes down to word against word, the outcome depends on who is the most convincing bullshitter really. I still think the pub guy would be fighting an uphill battle to convince a judge that the landowner was negligent for hiring him. If pub guy knew beforehand that he wasnt up to the job, then he himself would be negligent for accepting the job, and probably guilty of deception and as well, for misrepresenting himself. The convention is to take people at their word, if they are adults apparently of sound mind. If the landowner hired a fifteen year old kid with a saw though, then he would be negligent.

• Like 1

On 06/02/2018 at 19:37, josharb87 said:

Am i the only one who thinks the title is misleading? No-ones been ripped off, first quote was a bit high thats all, no trees been cut, no moneys changed hands

I too normally put a high price on customers i don't like, i can see why the price left was high!

Ah yes, colloquially known as the tosser tax...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1