Ripped off by tree surgeons

Martin95

30 - 40ft stick (assumed from trees in background) to climb and dismantle and you want someone to turn up hump climbing kit to the tree(again assuming from the background you can’t drive to the tree) climb it and dismantle it for £150 by the time they have done that and humped gear back to truck and got to the next job there is half a day gone.

any one legit will have a second climber and kit on site to be legal and there fore insured. So 2 people for half a day plus fuel cost, insurance etc etc

labour                     £120 (2x half day)

fuel                            £15 (saw and travel)

insurance.                 £10 (truck and pl/el)

wear and tear on kit £??

other over heads      £?? 

all costs assumed but no thanks I will stay home if I’m earning earn nowt ?

straight fell on the way home possibly but now you have flicked my switch im not interested ?

everyones overheads are different  but stop and think before saying he is trying to rob you, also considering a full time climbers kit bag will prob be a min of a grands worth of kit ???

• Like 1

whats a climbers typical day rate?...

150 or so?...   seems to me you hire in a climber on day rate and get him to chop it down and you shift it...  or am I missing something.

I'd chop it down and scarper for 150.   if I lived nearby that is...   the fella can stand in for a groundie...

• Like 3

Reading ir, I can see how it would easily cost more than his £150 to employ 2  people to go to site, chop the tree down and so on, but can't see how it would be £450.

Mind I am also remembering he said he lived on a farm and in my mind I always thought farmers were pretty hand with power tools and so on so wondering why he would want someone else to do it and not someone in the farming community he lves in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steven P said:

Reading ir, I can see how it would easily cost more than his £150 to employ 2  people to go to site, chop the tree down and so on, but can't see how it would be £450.

Mind I am also remembering he said he lived on a farm and in my mind I always thought farmers were pretty hand with power tools and so on so wondering why he would want someone else to do it and not someone in the farming community he lves in.

Second-homer and the locals don't like him?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

whats a climbers typical day rate?...

150 or so?...   seems to me you hire in a climber on day rate and get him to chop it down and you shift it...  or am I missing something.

I'd chop it down and scarper for 150.   if I lived nearby that is...   the fella can stand in for a groundie...

Hopefully this isn't habit forming but I agree with Vesp to an extent. It's your best shot of doing it cheap. 

Not ideal as they likely won't have insurance and should have a rescue climber but you might find someone hungry. 

I'd still be charging more than I freelance for mind.