Ripped off by tree surgeons

Martin95

I have joined this forum in the hope of finding an arborist who will not rip me off. Today my wife whilst I was at work contacted an aborist with the view of getting a price to reduce the size of a large ash tree. In order to get a rough quote she sent some pictures which I have attached. The idea being if he was going to take our eyes out it would save him the trouble of a site visit. This particular arborist nonetheless insisted on a site visit and duly quoted my wife £450 cash at which my wife wonder where was his horse and mask whilst he was robbing us. We live on a small farm and all we wanted was for him to reduce the trees size and just drop the trees limbs on the ground and I would have moved and cut the wood up for our fire later. He did however say that they normal industry price is £640 plus vat. For the sake of being greedy had he offered a fair price he would have got the job and possible future work from me and my farming neighbours. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. I have been on a farming forum and many landowners have had similar jobs done for abour £100 -£150. 

Does anyone on this forum know of anyone willing to undertake such a job. If so I would appreciate their details or them to contact. I am located between Guisborough and Whitby, North Yorks.

Screenshot_2018-02-05-19-31-55-1.png

Screenshot_2018-02-05-19-31-19-1.png

I'm not a tree surgeon, but am an Arbtalk member because of a general interest in the industry and particularly the biomass side of things.

However, I find myself wondering - have you posted this in this tone just to attract grief? You have not been ripped off, as the title states, but have been given a quote. It is your prerogative whether to accept that or not, or to try and find someone local to you via your farming forum that will do it for a price you find acceptable.

The Arbtalk community are, from my experience a generally helpful and supportive bunch, but the way you have written this may not elicit too much positivity. Perhaps if you'd posted the photos and asked if anyone was prepared to quote, without seeking to slate the industry, that might be better received?

• Like 11

£100-£150 to dismantle it to the red line, no thanks

The only way id have anything to do with it for that sort of money would be if it was an easy fell from ground level, leaving it where it lands. Then it would be the sort of little 15 minute job we'd do quickly at the end of a day if it was on our way back as a little brucey bonus

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I’ll do it for a tenner and a curly wurly!

Does that include VAT?[emoji3]
Seriously though what diameter are the 2 stems? Makes a lot of difference! And it's quite hard to tell, i'm guessing 10" each, which would make £450 expensive but if 2' then a lot more top then not so dear.
  • Like 2

Martin95
£100-£150 is cowboy territory.
Anyone climbing with a chainsaw who is licensed and insured with a groundie will be charging at least £300 for a half day, probably a lot more.
As is your experience.
Get other quotes, but be wary of anyone who would do that for £150.
It's probably not legal.

• Like 2