Ripped off by tree surgeons

Martin95

1 hour ago, Martin95 said:

I think my initial post was the catalyst to generate what has been a lively discussion and a good one at that, if we cant have a lively discussion then we might as well pack up and go home. However  I think what this all boils down to is market forces or supply and demand. It is what someone is willing to pay for services or goods provided.

You cant tell me that when you want a new piece of equipment you will pay the list prices. Well I wouldn’t, I would shop about until I found a deal that suited me. I did that with my truck and saved £3000 off the list price. To me that was a good deal to others I may have said that I still paid too much but I felt it was fair and paid the price that was negotiated.

Coming to the cost of equipment:- As Vespasian said the choice to use modern machinery that speeds up production is a choice thing. From a customers point of view all he/she would be concerned with is the end price. I am sure when you tender for a contact you provide one price for all work discussed and the cost of machinery would be factored in by you.

As for danger like any job they all come with risk from getting a paper cut in an office to a soldier walking through a mine field in Afghanistan it is a choice thing not that I would want to do that they have bigger balls than me.

I am no spring chicken but started my life as an apprentice welder in an oil rig yard and eventually got a chance to chase the money offshore, in the end that was short lived. I was offered the chance to convert/train to become a welder/diver.  After 6 months diving (not mixed gases they are the really crazy guys) I gave it up after a diver I knew died as a result of a diving accident and thought my life was worth more. I  decided that career choice was not for me.  And on that note for those of you up those crazy heights with a chain saw I respect you and the dangers are all too evident as Ty mention in one of his posts.  But like I said that is choice thing.  But for me you chaps are out of my league I cannot afford to some of the prices I have seen. I have been called tight and far worse at times in life; I have broad shoulders.

So whilst I have a woodland which at some point will be harvested,  I will tackle the trees I am confident with myself, but of those that are more  challenging  then I will have to seek professional help.  Once again my apologies for the initial tone of my first post it was a Donald trump moment. I  have now applied to the White House to be his PR assistant where he can use my talents !  Jokes aside  stay safe chaps.

Hats off Martin, top class post.

I do stand by my original comment that you can’t price from pictures, and there’s no harm in getting a couple more quotes from professional, qualified and insured outfits.

I really appreciate your continued input, as I’m sure others do.

Please let us know the outcome, with as much detail as possible.

Interesting threads like this have died a death before without anyone knowing the ending. Like finding the last 20 pages missing from a cracking book.

It has certainly raised some very pertinent issues.

Please excuse Vespasian.

He’s a good bloke, but we let him in here as a yardstick to check that the rest of us are still professionals doing a professional job.

For professional reward.

?

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Shane said:

This reminds me of a Blackadder episode where Tom Baker was playing Captain Rum.

When asked about the crew the conversation went something like....

Blackadder  'What about the crew'?

Rum 'Crew'?

Blackadder 'Yes, the crew, I thought it was conventional for a ship to have a crew'

Rum 'Aaaargh, there be two schools of thought on that'

Blackadder 'Oh God'

Rum 'Those who think there shouldn't be a crew - ME, and those who think there should - everybody else'

can’t believe I missed this! 

“Opinion is divided on the subject”

20 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Hats off Martin, top class post.

I do stand by my original comment that you can’t price from pictures, and there’s no harm in getting a couple more quotes from professional, qualified and insured outfits.

I really appreciate your continued input, as I’m sure others do.

Please let us know the outcome, with as much detail as possible.

Interesting threads like this have died a death before without anyone knowing the ending. Like finding the last 20 pages missing from a cracking book.

It has certainly raised some very pertinent issues.

Please excuse Vespasian.

He’s a good bloke, but we let him in here as a yardstick to check that the rest of us are still professionals doing a professional job.

For professional reward.

?

If you're getting sensible, I'm leaving the forum:001_rolleyes:

• Haha 2

A fascinating thread this one !!  .... The OP's title was a bit mis-leading which seems to have got a few members wound up , however only 1 person has actually looked at this job and it would appear ( by price ) he has assessed it is a day for 2 , which too me seems excessive for a cut and drop job , no chipping, rigging etc etc ...If the one who priced it was a "PRO " why was he offering cash no VAT !? ..... it would appear to me that this job would suit a subby / freelance climber , without the overheads of a fully tooled up company  . The point of needing a "rescue climber " present was raised by several respondents  , which is legitimately correct , yet a while back Reg Coates did a thread about lone climbing and the majority agreed that it was OK. Glad the OP got back to this thread and is not "offended " too much , but i am curious as to why he wants it cut in this manner and not felled ??       

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martin95 said:

Ah a tree festival he says. And you chaps could show how drop a tree on to a flag as they do at the Yorkshire show always impressed me.

Vespasian by all means

More likely that you'd have 10,000 empty beer tins, human body parts and waste far and wide, a judicial inquiry on behalf of the HSE, an ASBO instigated by neighbour complaints, a couple of dozen missing persons reports and a set of traumatic experiences that would frighten Kim Jong-un....

But (there it is again!) it might be worth a punt....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

More likely that you'd have 10,000 empty beer tins, human body parts and waste far and wide, a judicial inquiry on behalf of the HSE, an ASBO instigated by neighbour complaints, a couple of dozen missing persons reports and a set of traumatic experiences that would frighten Kim Jong-un....

But (there it is again!) it might be worth a punt....

Ever the optimist.

• Like 2

Gents,

For me anyway this thread has run its course we have chewed fat,  its been entertaining but more importantly a learning experience well on part part anyway.   I will  leave and let the more professional banter continue. To end I have had several offers from forum members and hopefully I will be able to strike an agreeable deal. 

Its been a pleasure,  I have walked into the lions den poked a few and come out with my arse intact, well, sort of,  but I wont be poking anymore lions. Take care.

• Like 5