Logosol farmers mill

Badgerland

54gka Yeah, I contacted Logosol and they suggested getting the M8 carrier and fix a nose steering to it which is pretty much the solution I was thinking of before I asked around. Anybody heard of this or gone down this route?

Thanks for that agrimog. It's good to hear the realities of setting one of these up. How long it really takes and what the pitfalls are.

I bought the 24 inch GB lo-pro bar from Rob D primarily to use with my alaskan so that's why I have it on the Farmers Mill. I've a lot of burr slabs to cut as well which are getting on for 2 foot wide at their widest, (allowing for the curve of the slabs I reckon I can just about get away with the 24 inch bar). I was hoping to at least slab these up using the logosol rather than the alaskan. Other than that I'm mostly planning on cutting chestnut poles up to about 18–20 inch diameter for gates and furniture

Agrimog. Do you mind me asking what your set up is, bar length, saw etc? Do you normally half or quarter logs before putting them on the logosol?

I run an m7 with various lengths of bar, 18", 20", 25", and 36" depending on whatever Im cutting, most of the logosol work is large slab  so the different bars,  the m7/m8 carrier will make a big difference but you must pay close attention to the wear in the plastic guides, alittle wear will result in rather a lot of movement at the end of a long bar ( i have been know to cheat and hold the end of the bar up with a stick just as the cut starts, once in the timber, no problems) the one thing I will say though, no matter how good your hand sharpening is, get an electric bench machine ( a cheapy from lidl works just fine after a few tweeks) as the equality of cutters makes the biggest difference to cutting

• 1 month later...

Take a file and file of the joints on the ruler to make them a little softer. Is this what often wears out the plastic guides quick.
Even I've upgraded to the M8 sled and think it's great, and it's a lot faster to mill when you have the hand crank.

Should I buy a new sled today I would look at the F2 sled with the upgrade kit.

It has vibration-damping feeding crank and bar nose steering for 50 cm and 63 cm guide bars.