7.5 ton iveco

jmac

2 hours ago, Justme said:

I can't prove it but would expect the GTW to be reduced when the mam was reduced.

I dont think so.

The DVSA wouldn't be able to state a changed GTW as they are not the manufacturer. They only approve the downplate NOT state what the downplate should be.

1 minute ago, donnk said:

I dont think so.

The DVSA wouldn't be able to state a changed GTW as they are not the manufacturer. They only approve the downplate NOT state what the downplate should be.

Happy to be convinced one way or the other.

Dont think I want to be the test case lol

3 minutes ago, Justme said:

Happy to be convinced one way or the other.

Dont think I want to be the test case lol

you wouldnt be there a loads of mini artics on the road so it isnt a problem. 

Builders in london use them for the 5 ton trailer load for delivering bricks while not having to pay the crazy london day rate tax.

Boat movers use them to deliver boats etc, loads of niche users.

Edited by donnk

3 minutes ago, donnk said:

Dont understand ????

a landrover has a MAM of 7000 as do many other cars. so yes loads of cars have a mam or train weight much higher than 3500kg.

A landrover does NOT have a MAM of 7000kg.

MAM & GTW are not the same.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, donnk said:

you wouldnt be there a loads of mini artics on the road so it isnt a problem. 

Builders in london use them for the 5 ton trailer load for delivering bricks while not having to pay the crazy london day rate tax.

Boat movers use them to deliver boats etc, loads of niche users.

The 5th wheel trailer at 5000kg is not a 5000kg trailer as some of the load is an applied load onto the vehicle.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Justme said:

A post 19-10-2013 BE MIGHT cover it if the weight through the trailers wheels and the plate weight is 3500kg or less & the vehicles weight is plated to 3500kg or less.

I've never fully understood how the superimposed weight was interpreted in relation to the trailer weight but had guessed the 3.5 tonnes limit for a trailer with the post 13 BE meant the weight of the trailer in isolation from the tow vehicle.

Just for instnce how would you consider a traditional trailer with 1750kg on each axle and 100kg nose weight?

8 minutes ago, Justme said:

Re the above you could get a 5th wheel that has a real weight when loaded but disconnected of 5000kg.

As long as 1500kg of that weight is an applied load to the tow vehicle & the tow vehicle is rated to take it as a load.

yes but only on a pre 2013 BE ??

8 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I've never fully understood how the superimposed weight was interpreted in relation to the trailer weight but had guessed the 3.5 tonnes limit for a trailer with the post 13 BE meant the weight of the trailer in isolation from the tow vehicle.

Just for instnce how would you consider a traditional trailer with 1750kg on each axle and 100kg nose weight?

yes but only on a pre 2013 BE ??

Any weight that is transferred onto the vehicle is NOT trailer weight.

If stopped they do not uncouple you. They weigh each axle.

So the 100kg will be on the rear vehicle axle not the trailer axle.

If the vehicle has a 3500kg MAM & the trailer is plated to 3500kg then a post 19-01-2013 BE is ok.

The vehicle could weigh 1900kg.

The "load" from the trailer be 1500kg.

The trailer axles weight be 3500kg but with a disconnected weight of 5000kg.

Edited by Justme
to add stuff
  • Like 1