7.5 ton iveco

jmac

4 hours ago, Daniël Bos said:

How about doing it the other way around? put the chipper on a truck like a heavy iveco van, tow the digger on an ultralight trailer. then you'd be ok with the license you have now. You'd have to find a van that can tow 3.5t (i believe the iveco's can?) and can weigh 4750 and carry the 2000kg chipper

Yes this makes sense but what's the unladen weight of an iveco downplated from 5.5 to the 5.35 necessary to keep the GTW below 8.25? It would need to be 2.35. Of course there is some scope for putting the buckets and ramps on the trailer to reduce the weight of the digger on the truck.

In fact we weighed our mk2 safetrak all filled and ready to run at 1.9 tonnes IIRC so it's the ifor tipper trailer that puts the towed weight up to 2.9, We reckoned the safetrak on our 8x4 trailers were just about legal to tow with a transit mk7 at 2.5 tonnes.

Iveco mini artic would make a lot of sense for this type of license, shunt the load around on the trailer to max out on the truck over the fifth wheel and you probably get very close to a 5 ton payload out of a sub 3500kg truck/trailer combo. Where`s  @Justme when you need him for some clarity on rules ?:thumbup1:

Bob

Edited by aspenarb
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

Iveco mini artic would make a lot of sense for this type of license, shunt the load around on the trailer to max out on the truck over the fifth wheel and you probably get very close to a 5 ton payload out of a sub 3500kg truck/trailer combo. Where`s  @Justme when you need him for some clarity on rules ?:thumbup1:

Bob

Yep that's a possibility. As long as the tow vehicle can take the nose weight and not exceed its axle weights.

9 hours ago, donnk said:

not completely true

if you have b+e on an old licence you have no limit on the weight you can tow, the plated train weight of the tug is the only limit.

True but then the vehicle can't have a mam of more than 3500kg.

1 hour ago, aspenarb said:

Bob

I don't think they made them other than in 2004 plus there's a bit of  problem that whilst we oldies could drive one anyone post 97 would have to go full C or C1 plus E as the later B+E won't cover the trailer. So a person with post 97 is probably better getting the +E to manage with a GTW of 3.5 plus 3.5 trailer.

Next step is C +E as it doen't seem worth going C1+E, I've just lashed out £1800 to get a young lady through this I'll have to see how she gets on

• Like 1

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

I don't think they made them other than in 2004 plus there's a bit of  problem that whilst we oldies could drive one anyone post 97 would have to go full C or C1 plus E as the later B+E won't cover the trailer. So a person with post 97 is probably better getting the +E to manage with a GTW of 3.5 plus 3.5 trailer.

Next step is C +E as it doen't seem worth going C1+E, I've just lashed out £1800 to get a young lady through this I'll have to see how she gets on

A post 19-10-2013 BE MIGHT cover it if the weight through the trailers wheels and the plate weight is 3500kg or less & the vehicles weight is plated to 3500kg or less.

Re the above you could get a 5th wheel that has a real weight when loaded but disconnected of 5000kg.

As long as 1500kg of that weight is an applied load to the tow vehicle & the tow vehicle is rated to take it as a load.