7.5 ton iveco

jmac

On 2/5/2018 at 19:44, Justme said:

Any weight that is transferred onto the vehicle is NOT trailer weight.

If stopped they do not uncouple you. They weigh each axle.

So the 100kg will be on the rear vehicle axle not the trailer axle.

If the vehicle has a 3500kg MAM & the trailer is plated to 3500kg then a post 19-01-2013 BE is ok.

The vehicle could weigh 1900kg.

The "load" from the trailer be 1500kg.

The trailer axles weight be 3500kg but with a disconnected weight of 5000kg.

Just returning here for a bit, in fact the weight on the back axle would exceed the100kg because of the leverage with the fulcrum being the rear axle.

Anyway when I was at work over 15months ago I discounted this B+E mini artic because I thought  the post 2013 +E test scuppered  it as the trailer would exceed 3500kg. With most of our workers having only B post 97 it made it too big a step up, if you are right then whilst I think Donnk has got his weights wrong the principle is right. For the sake of the trailer test, which guys really need anyway, then a lightweight tug with a 1 tonne payload, able to tow a  5 tonne trailer with 3500kg on its axles does give a useful increase and as long as the trailer tare is less than 1024kg no operator's licence required.

7 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Just returning here for a bit, in fact the weight on the back axle would exceed the100kg because of the leverage with the fulcrum being the rear axle.

Anyway when I was at work over 15months ago I discounted this B+E mini artic because I thought  the post 2013 +E test scuppered  it as the trailer would exceed 3500kg. With most of our workers having only B post 97 it made it too big a step up, if you are right then whilst I think Donnk has got his weights wrong the principle is right. For the sake of the trailer test, which guys really need anyway, then a lightweight tug with a 1 tonne payload, able to tow a  5 tonne trailer with 3500kg on its axles does give a useful increase and as long as the trailer tare is less than 1024kg no operator's licence required.

You won't get a 5000kg trailer down to 3500kg if the vehicle only has a 1000kg payload.

Not sure on the o licence rules from the top of my head.

9 hours ago, Justme said:

You won't get a 5000kg trailer down to 3500kg if the vehicle only has a 1000kg payload.

Not sure on the o licence rules from the top of my head.

That's right for the post 13 trailer test but there was that interesting  letter from VOSA that says the actual gross weight of the trailer would be the deciding factor  rather than its MAM  so as long as that is only carrying2.5 tonnes it passes. Of course anyone driving with a pre 13 trailer licence has an unlimited trailer weight so something like a LR110 can take the 1 tonne superimposed load and the trailer can have 4 tonnes on it's axles.

I don't know what other 3.5 tonne MAM vehicles are rated for a trailer over 3.5 tonnes with braking off the service brake.

30 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

That's right for the post 13 trailer test but there was that interesting  letter from VOSA that says the actual gross weight of the trailer would be the deciding factor  rather than its MAM  so as long as that is only carrying2.5 tonnes it passes. Of course anyone driving with a pre 13 trailer licence has an unlimited trailer weight so something like a LR110 can take the 1 tonne superimposed load and the trailer can have 4 tonnes on it's axles.

I don't know what other 3.5 tonne MAM vehicles are rated for a trailer over 3.5 tonnes with braking off the service brake.

Yes if the trailer is plated to 3500kg a post a19-01-2013 would be better OK but you said 5000kg. There is no way a post 13 can do that due to the plate weight. Remember you have to comply with licence and c&u. If your 5th wheel was plated to 3500kg and hand a real stand alone weight of 4500kg and 1000kg of that was applied to a vehicle that had a payload of 1000kg you would be OK.

Pre 2013 the trailer can be plated to 5000kg as long as the real weight is within vehicles capacity for GTW and applied load.

4 minutes ago, Justme said:

Yes if the trailer is plated to 3500kg a post a19-01-2013 would be better OK but you said 5000kg. There is no way a post 13 can do that due to the plate weight. Remember you have to comply with licence and c&u. If your 5th wheel was plated to 3500kg and hand a real stand alone weight of 4500kg and 1000kg of that was applied to a vehicle that had a payload of 1000kg you would be OK.

Pre 2013 the trailer can be plated to 5000kg as long as the real weight is within vehicles capacity for GTW and applied load.

This is why I abandoned the idea before, so the plated weight of the trailer will need to be 5000kg, even though only 4 tonnes on the axles, in which case a post 13 licence can never use it.

What threw me was your saying the  drawbar nose weight was never checked for over loading if all the axle weights were okay.