7.5 ton iveco

jmac

14 minutes ago, jmac said:

Thanks for all your replies. I only have a pre 97 licence so was hoping to keep it to 7.5 ton but am I right in thinking I would need a class 1 licence to tow 2.9 ton ? 

C1+E without the 107 restriction (which most of us got and restricts us to a gross train weight of 8,25 tonnes) allows GTW of 12tonnes.

So to tow 2.9 tonnes I would need a truck with gross weight (Maximum Allowed Mass) of 5.35 tonnes

On a pre 97 licence you are restricted to the 8.25 GTW as previously stated.. The smaller iveco comes in a 6.5, 6 and 5ton variant.  Ours has been a good truck.. way better then the 3.5 ton version..

The 7.5 tonner is considerably bigger but on your pre97 licence you can only tow 750kgs... Unfortunately I don't believe you can just add the trailer bit, you have to do the whole HGV training..  We have not had the 7.5 tonner long but it is a different beast to the 6 tonner..

bc230.jpg.0b8c82149d4a2df71dabe2a7f9510d64.jpg5a776cdbc8510_migivecoagain.thumb.jpg.1098bb86dccff8e7c2dc3384576d2f1b.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jmac said:

What's the payload of the 6 ton iveco?

I am not sure.  In the early days we rammed it full of chip and took it over a weight bridge and it was just over the 6.5. I did post it on here but it was many years ago.. I have never weighed it empty..

26 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

On a pre 97 licence you are restricted to the 8.25 GTW as previously stated.. The smaller iveco comes in a 6.5, 6 and 5ton variant.  Ours has been a good truck.. way better then the 3.5 ton version..

The 7.5 tonner is considerably bigger but on your pre97 licence you can only tow 750kgs... Unfortunately I don't believe you can just add the trailer bit, you have to do the whole HGV training..  We have not had the 7.5 tonner long but it is a different beast to the 6 tonner..

bc230.jpg.0b8c82149d4a2df71dabe2a7f9510d64.jpg5a776cdbc8510_migivecoagain.thumb.jpg.1098bb86dccff8e7c2dc3384576d2f1b.jpg

looks like you mean business

with those big chippers have you ever used a log splitter on the sections and/or rings so you can chip oversize bits of poplar, lawson etc?

They are only 10 inches, too small to make that worthwhile.

We did it with a whole tree chipper with really big butts once. Although top be honest since moving to 10 inch chippers we have not bothered with the whole tree chippers.   Anything over 10 inches can be transported pretty well in log form and little point processing it further on site..  

The log in the foreground was split with a digger so it could be chipped.. Made a right mess..

IMG_8612.JPG

Edited by benedmonds
  • Thanks 1

We run a 2015, 7.2t ton Iveco Daily tipper with a standard steel tipping unit (better for re-sale here), removable alloy sides, tool box and a tarp roof.

It allows us around a 3.6t payload.

I love it, limited to 90kph of course but with a 3litre twin turbo it certainly pulls.

The body is good for 9m cube.

Ty

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, openspaceman said:

C1+E without the 107 restriction (which most of us got and restricts us to a gross train weight of 8,25 tonnes) allows GTW of 12tonnes.

So to tow 2.9 tonnes I would need a truck with gross weight (Maximum Allowed Mass) of 5.35 tonnes

not completely true

if you have b+e on an old licence you have no limit on the weight you can tow, the plated train weight of the tug is the only limit.

annoyingly if you go above a 7.5 tonner like my 11 you need a class 1 which was a pain in the arse to get 

mine is same size as 7.5 only i can brim it and you would't get away with a big crane like mine on a 7.5

id take offers around 14 for it 

full mot 

also got two big 29" air horns now so you can toot toot at the haters 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, donnk said:

not completely true

if you have b+e on an old licence you have no limit on the weight you can tow, the plated train weight of the tug is the only limit.

Yes but we have been through this before,  it's unlikely to find a 3.5 tonne vehicle that can tow 4.75 tonnes and then towing 2.9 tonnes the op asked for means you have no payload on the truck 

• Like 1