Best way to split large volumes of logs with a digger

Woodwanter

5 hours ago, Woodworks said:

No doubt this makes the very best logs but sadly it is time consuming. Had a load of oversized beech last year and cursed ringing and splitting it all but made me a proud log seller when delivering it.

Did see a clip of someone using a pecker on rings and looked pretty affective. 

I am giving the pecker some thought. I'll have to get a special bit, concrete one will I imagine go straight brought and get stuck?

i wonder how that would work on lengths of cordwood though?

2 hours ago, Woodwanter said:

I am giving the pecker some thought. I'll have to get a special bit, concrete one will I imagine go straight brought and get stuck?

i wonder how that would work on lengths of cordwood though?

I’m pretty sure anything welded won’t stand up to the forces of a pecker. That’s why all the usual bits and even post driving cups are always made from one billet of  steel-  it may be ok if only used on wood but doubt it.

I think I’d prefer the idea of a cone splitter myself- probably cheaper than buying a pecker and speacial bit and I’d think you’d find a way to work with it on both large rings and trunks- at least its reversible so easy to get out- a pecker isn’t so if it gets stuck in the timber it might be a PITA getting it out again?

• Like 1

A mate of mine uses a pecker on large rings , just to break in to liftable lumps to put on the splitter bench , starts on the edge usually to avoid getting stuck , also the digger ( 3 ton ) is the power pack for the hydraulic splitter and is used with a reverse bucket for loading / shifting , in effect the one machine does a lot as well as digging when required , seems pretty efficient to me but however you do it logs are a LOT of work !!!!

I’ve had the pincer, it’s ok but very slow! You really need it mounted upside down on something heavy with its own hydraulic power pack and load and rip off with a timber crane and grab!
The pecker works ok on easy to split stuff like sycamore with no knots, but it’s like writing a nice letter with a crayon, just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.
I now have a corkscrew, it’s brilliant! You can pick up and place easily, brilliant on rings and less waste on trunks!

3 minutes ago, Stephen Blair said:

I’ve had the pincer, it’s ok but very slow! You really need it mounted upside down on something heavy with its own hydraulic power pack and load and rip off with a timber crane and grab!
The pecker works ok on easy to split stuff like sycamore with no knots, but it’s like writing a nice letter with a crayon, just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.
I now have a corkscrew, it’s brilliant! You can pick up and place easily, brilliant on rings and less waste on trunks!

Could you use the corkscrew to hold 5mtr lengths off the ground for crosscutting to 10" with two saws?

3 hours ago, Stephen Blair said:

Thanks, what size machine is that on? How quick can you work with it? I liked the idea of the pincers for other uses too but the corkscrew may be the way forward - any links or info please?

29 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

http://augertorque.com/product-range/log-splitter.html

have you any need for an auger too? I have the auger already and often think about buying the cone splitter for it so I have break up tree trunks- think it is quite a cost effective option.

Had you thought of buying a cone splitting screw ( off a pto screw spliter ) & making an adaptor to mount it in the auger drive, " quick tip " don't get one with a replacement tip because if you reverse the auger in the wood the tip may come undone.