Shredder not chipper

david lawrence

Hi

i am after a shredder to chop up small brash ,hedge trimmings,strimmed vegetation and perhaps mix in

wasted haylage , horse poo and leaves

With the aim of speeding up composting and ending up with a good perhaps saleable compost

i do not  need to chip bigger stuff as that goes thru my branch logger so max size 2 /3 centimetres ?

probably with its own petrol engine but electric is possible

really something with 

a wide intake

not prone to clogging

fires the chopped material quite strongly rather than dropping out the bottom

does  such a thing exist ?

alternative ideas ?

thanks

david

I rent a shredder from time to time when nothing else is available.

Saelin 23hp diesel with toothed conveyor feed and an over sized single roller.

Feeding in vines, lonicera and hedge cuttings (not trimmings) I find it infernally slow, blocks easily and noisy.

The toothed belt doesn't help the feeding of materials, it actually prevents you from helping with push sticks.

Ty

SX200phb.jpg
Look for a second hand one of these, cheaper to buy and will shred
I have one (petrol, conveyor model). Its generally very good in the right scenario.

Small and light. Despite being sub 750 it is also braked. Could easily go behind an ATV around a site etc.

We use it for larger hedge cuttings that have been raked up (machine cut, relatively high volume), dead grub outs from planting and nursery prunings. It all works well on all of this.

We shred arisings from basal and epicormic pruning of limes and it's not so good from the perspective that it's easy to clog it up. Fresh, green, leaf stuff in large volumes would be a problem. Once you have a feel for it, it's fine but you have to remember two guys can feed it faster than it can shred so you can't go for it like with a s426 for example.

I rent a shredder from time to time when nothing else is available.
Saelin 23hp diesel with toothed conveyor feed and an over sized single roller.
Feeding in vines, lonicera and hedge cuttings (not trimmings) I find it infernally slow, blocks easily and noisy.
The toothed belt doesn't help the feeding of materials, it actually prevents you from helping with push sticks.
  Ty
I'd agree on what you've mention. If you are used to a chipper it will feel a lot slower. The conveyor belt is good for sweepings etc but gets in the way with long stuff. No offense intended but there is a knack to using the conveyor belt, you need a kind of sweeping side to side motion to work it well.

The main advantage of the shredder to me is tolerance of crap! We're in London, there is litter everywhere. You grab a bundle of prunings that's been raked up it's possible if not expected that there will be cans, bottles, bits of stone from chipped slabs etc. Items that would kill chipper blades in no time.

I'd say this size machine would be the absolute minimum you should consider. Any smaller will be a waste of time and even with these you'll want bigger.