what to do with laurel once cut

chipper080

Hi all i am doing some work in a small woodland cleaning it up free in exchange for the wood as my family come first and wood is their only source of heat.

In this woodland is a patch of laurel that has to be cut down some of the main stems are four inches plus now i would like to have your opinion on this as i have googled it and it is toxic but there are people out there that burn the wood in their indoor fires and woodburners.

I would like to know is it safe to burn the branches on a bonfire and the bigger wood in i woodburner or is the a better way like chipping please could you let me know your opinions and how best to get rid of the rubbish.

Thank you

Mike

Yes chip onto pathways,just don't cut or chip into enclosed space.There was a thread on here where laurel was carried  in I think a panel van then driven for a whilst and driver did not feel well after.

Think its a form of cyanide that's released from the fresh cuts/chip IIRC

Just now, htb said:

Yes chip onto pathways,just don't cut or chip into enclosed space.There was a thread on here where laurel was carried  in I think a panel van then driven for a whilst and driver did not feel well after.

Think its a form of cyanide that's released from the fresh cuts/chip IIRC

Yes the crushed leaves give off cyanide, it was used in the past to kill butterflies for mounting . Cyanide is so reactive I don't think it would;d persist for long but I wouldn't shovel freshly chipped branches with leaves in an enclose space, like the back of any truck.

The wood is as good as any other cherry for burning.