Regulations are coming

Bluecoat

5 minutes ago, Woodwanter said:

So had I, if it wasnt for our quarterly conversation I would nit have heard either! These things never seem to be publiscised till it's been decided.

I don't disagree with you, the concept was to save on fossil fuels, it's has produced a lot of employment though.

Well this is it, if they restrict forced drying via RHI on one hand but insist on dry logs on the other then it's going to be jolly hard to get enough fry firewood surely? Not like the government to not think these things through though!

Or is it clevererer than we've given them credit for?  Make it impossible to achieve sub 20% = no RHI qualifying firewood = no RHI payments....?

But, what's the alternative, revert back to mainstream energy supply?  

9 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I'm just shooting from memory rather than having checked first Beau, but I think sub 20% is a requirement of eligibility for registration on BSL for firewood.  I haven't taken too much notice since I'm not selling, just keeping the accreditation alive since it's easier to keep it going rather than sign off and re-apply.

It probably is. Do you think the BSL standard is what might be enforced on the whole industry? 

Edited by Woodworks

Hopefully we don't see any regulation, firewood is one of the only fuel sources where you can cut down your own tree and burn it or buy perfect dry logs from a supplier with relative freedom. 

While it seems ridiculous to simultaneously ban payments on and force (for those of us it wet areas) the drying of wood it does seem true.. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/the-non-domestic-renewable-heat-incentive-further-proposed-amendments

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bluecoat said:

A consultation on the burning of coal and firewood is under way. Under attack are bituminous house coals and wet firewood, cue the banning of bituminous coal and the regulation of firewood suppliers.

I think you are talking about the proposed Europe wide Lot 20 regs that may ( or may not ) come into force in 2022, called EcoDesign.  In effect this will lower emissions levels of appliances sold after that date to such an extent that unless technology changes all stoves sold after that date will be dedicated wood burners.   Having said that Arada have just launched a 2022 compliant multifuel model ( the Farringdon) so maybe there will be a way forward if it sells.

I was not aware of anything in this set of regs concerning wet firewood.   Frankly I wish there was as it would save me time visiting people trying to burn cheap wet logs.  See the SIA info here:  http://www.stoveindustryalliance.com/ecodesign-ready-stoves-and-air-quality/

Edited by Alycidon
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Woodworks said:

It probably is. Do you think the BSL standard is what might be enforced on the whole industry? 

Don’t see that it can be. Subscription to BSL as a supplier is a choice as is the choice, of the customer, who / what they buy. Can’t tell people what to do, only make it preferable to take a certain course through incentives (or restrictions such as clean air act type) and Gov has got that spectacularly wrong on so many levels: Solar PV FiT, Commercial RHI, diesel cars, working tax credits etc, etc. It  seems to me, every time there’s a “beneficial incentive” there’s some smart Alec finding a beneficial loop-hole and exposing catastrophic unintended consequences. 

Im feeling a “glass half empty” kind of day coming on... (maybe just feeling a bit teasy since little’un jumped on me at 05:00!)

2 hours ago, pancakedan said:

The consultation has started and the call for evidence is open for the domestic burning of coals, solid fuels and wet wood. The survey closes on the 27th Feb and can be found here

https://consult.defra.gov.uk/airquality/domestic-burning-of-wood-and-coal/

Page 3 of the call for evidence..... in the statement prior to asking questions they say....

Wet wood is classified as having greater than 20% moisture content.

We are considering phasing out the sale of wet wood where this is sold in packaging that does not lend the wood to being seasoned before use, for instance in packaging of up to 2m3 (a large dumpy bag).

LOL I can't wait to read the rest!