Foot Ascender Recommendation

Gnarlyoak

23 hours ago, Andy Craig said:

You could attach the left ascender to the top of your stirrup and run a length of cord to the bottom to hold the weight, might work similar to a Haas.

I follow putting it high up the stirrup but not sure what the cord does? Could you post a picture please.

On 01/02/2018 at 21:23, AHPP said:

I follow putting it high up the stirrup but not sure what the cord does? Could you post a picture please.

I've not actually made this it's just an idea, the cord would put your weight on the bottom of your foot rather than the side of your leg. Might make it easier to control but probably works fine without as well. 

Quick question to HAAS users. Are both ends of the bungee tied to the little clip or just one like on mine? I’ve used it half a dozen times but don’t feel like I’m getting a full extension...

Which model do you have ? The velox is tied at the top of the tube then runs down to a roller and back up to the clip ,so in theory has more spring and won’t need adjusting. I can not remember how the first version was set up but I remember having to shorten the elastic to get a better return on the ascender.

• 5 months later...

Those HAAS jobbers arent cheap! Really £150, i just read this thread looking for best foot ascender and decided to get both types but maybe not. 

As its not PPE its just an assistance device i cant believe that price. As an occasional user i think i’ll fall under ‘innovator’?

I've been using the big bulky CMI foot ascender (right) for almost 10 years. It's not the most compact or the lightest but it does lock onto the rope and will probably last a lifetime. Actually I think the cam has a lifetime guarantee. The Kevlar strap shows no sign of wear yet.

The knee ascender I use with it is of the DIY variety. You can make one with a decent pull for as little as $35-40 depending on which chest ascender and bungee cord is used. 

IMG_2009_c.JPG

• 7 months later...
14 minutes ago, NickinMids said:

Why am I struggling to use this set up...?

Cant get the bloody things off the rope...Is there a sequence or what

Take it off as the ascender is rising up the rope, if that makes sense