Foot Ascender Recommendation

Gnarlyoak

24 minutes ago, AHPP said:

I currently just use a CT on my right , strapped on over my spike stirrup. I’m thinking of getting a lefty one and bolting it to my left spike stirrup. Will I be forever spiking myself with them both clipped in?

You could attach the left ascender to the top of your stirrup and run a length of cord to the bottom to hold the weight, might work similar to a Haas.

Many thanks for all the input so far folks. Most of you seem to be chiming with my gut instinct which was to go for a "lefty" CT device.

A lefty, because that's my strongest leg, and CT because I couldn't find much first hand anecdotal info on the other makes, with the exception of Petzl  most of which was poor.

However, you have also muddied the waters by repeated references to "Haas" which until this post I had never even heard of let alone considered! I've tried looking it up and confess to be none the wiser. What's it for, do you really need it, how do you make your own???

I am a tree climbing dinosaur, have climbed Ddrt with a prussic since I started 14 yrs ago. I'm looking at ways to try and help my weary mind, body and soul climb for a bit longer and productively than they really want to, so was planning on going down the Hitch Climber and ascender route but still Ddrt and keeping my set up as simple as possible. So in this scenario, is Haas necessary?

The HAAS is golden mate ( Haul Ass Ascent System).

It basically means you are using both legs instead of one, easier and smoother ascent. Works both Ddrt and SRT.

A few of the lads have built their own. I bought mine because I've got no objection to giving Michael Frankenhauser a few quid for inventing it. I'm on the HAAS 2 now. I prefer the one that just clips to a footloop, which I wear separately.

Many thanks for all the input so far folks. Most of you seem to be chiming with my gut instinct which was to go for a "lefty" CT device.
A lefty, because that's my strongest leg, and CT because I couldn't find much first hand anecdotal info on the other makes, with the exception of Petzl  most of which was poor.

However, you have also muddied the waters by repeated references to "Haas" which until this post I had never even heard of let alone considered! I've tried looking it up and confess to be none the wiser. What's it for, do you really need it, how do you make your own???

I am a tree climbing dinosaur, have climbed Ddrt with a prussic since I started 14 yrs ago. I'm looking at ways to try and help my weary mind, body and soul climb for a bit longer and productively than they really want to, so was planning on going down the Hitch Climber and ascender route but still Ddrt and keeping my set up as simple as possible. So in this scenario, is Haas necessary?

If your gonna stay DDRT I would definitely get a rope guide or pulley saver .. with the hitch climber set up it’s mores ergonomic for your body as your climbing arm over arm but SRT is the way forward imo ,if you want to stay in the game long term doing large trees... using your legs and saving your arms for saw work.

I was really disappointed with my C.T

I loved it when i was using it but the strap wore through from my Meindl airstreams after less than 12 months. Iv since changed over to the Camp in the last week. Its O.k but early to tell.

TBH if this is your first ever foot ascender, then either will see you well. Many of us here though just have a personal favourite but i doubt theres much in it any more.

I personally wouldn't go for Petzl new gen. I don't like how small they are and don't have a lock catch as @Mark Bolam said. I prefer the Camp because its very much like the old gen petzl. The hole fits a small tool karabiner to in which allows the gate to lock if you want it to. If you don't, then you can quick clip in and out.

• Like 1