Woodchip cubic mtrs?

Vespasian

OK, if you had one ton of woodchip, in cubic mtrs what would that look like?...

By that I mean if its in a box, ft L.W.H.

I mean typical woodchip, mixed bag of different stuff, no need to pile in pointing out lengths of string because each wood is different..  though you can if you must...   

Anyways, the reason I ask is I've had an idea. I was wondering if I might stick my little TP100 on a trailer and point the spout into a box on the back..   I was thinking if I made it all as stumpy as possible, keeping the length to a bare minimal it might just be worth doing..  I can't stand long trailers..  truth is I can't stand trailers in general..

Instead of having a tipping option I thought maybe have a sloping floor, open the back doors and all the chip falls onto the ground..   or mostly?...   

Just an idea, but anyways, whats a ton of woodchip look like so I can figure my measurements if I have a stab at building one?......

I will try to be of help, having thought of numerous crazy ideas over the years myself.

A ton of 'average' chippings is about 3 cubic metres. Or 10ft x 3ftt x 3ft 6inch in old money

or therefore 5ft x 6ft x 3.5ft.

Very roughly - any 3 units which multiply together to get around 100 (in cubic ft)

Or 2 mtrs x 1.5 x 1 mtr.

Fill ya boots. 

Edited by Shane

51 minutes ago, Shane said:

I will try to be of help, having thought of numerous crazy ideas over the years myself.

A ton of 'average' chippings is about 3 cubic metres. Or 10ft x 3ftt x 3ft 6inch in old money

or therefore 5ft x 6ft x 3.5ft.

Very roughly - any 3 units which multiply together to get around 100 (in cubic ft)

Or 2 mtrs x 1.5 x 1 mtr.

Fill ya boots. 

haha thanks..  I'll be looking out for cheap trailer to convert..   then again what seems like a good idea one minute to me usually gets binned a day after LOL's..   

Just over 3 cube for biomass grade. I don't think a sloped floor will work unfortunately as chip, especially damp, doesn't 'flow' very well. 

You could get technical and make your own tipper, push off floor or even a conveyor type if you're feeling ambitious. ;)

51 minutes ago, bazoo132 said:

I'd be interested to see pics if you do this Vesp :thumbup1:

Its just an idea, I've been looking at a cheap four wheel trailer on ebay to try it out..   I'll do some investigating to see how chip might fall out..

or, how the weight might be distributed if full..    someone pointed it out it would be of limited use as its only gonna be good as a chip trailer. well, thats fine by me, its all I want it for...

21 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

You could use a slope, but you have to fit an air pump with many holes in the bed.
Should flow off.
Should...

or use a spade to spade it out that gets stuck...   much cheaper than faffing about with air holes everywhere..