Paramo/Buffalo system for climbing

Bayhales

Looks like all the Arbortec jackets have been snapped up so on the hunt for something different.

Unless you are wearing guy cottons your not gunna stay dry, you'l get to the first limb and probably pass out wearing them.

I'm all for a conventional hard shell jacket but the thing is it gets expensive wrecking them!

Curious to know whether any one is wearing a single layer system whilst climbing such as paramo, bufallo or anything pile.

For those that don't know basically you wear a shirt, it gets wet your body then warms the moisture up creating a micro climate. so you actually stay wet but warm if you see what I mean.. 

Not a climber myself but used both types of system on the ground.

My Buffalo is too hot for all but the coldest days. That thick pile is just to thick. Found a well worn one to be more useful. 

Bought a Paramo for casual use but when I found how nice they are it soon got used for my work. Just incredibly comfortable and great at keeping perspiration away when combined with a marino base. Again it is pretty warm but not as extreme as the Buffalo. Down side is they seem to a bit baggy in the cut. Every potential for it to catch on branches but to fair I have not damaged mine yet and apparently they do a very reasonably priced repair service. It only comes out for the wettest of days though as the fabric cant be the toughest. 

I have used buffalo type tops (pile and pertex) for climbing in the worst possible weather, with nothing underneath. Only issue is that you get cold as soon as you stop ‘doing’ & generating body heat. Mine was a bit short, so a nuisance riding up. Probably best used on emergency type jobs where it’s full steam and then done, then get changed.

Paramo is the dogs danglies for outdoor wear, I still have and use one I bought over twenty years ago which is my go to jacket for wet weather. I’d be tempted to buy and use a cheaper one if I was still climbing, as I’d think it would retain its waterproofness even when quite worn and damaged.

I like good gear that works, my wife tore my Rab down jacket and commented that it didn’t matter as it was twenty five yrs old! It was still bloody expensive when I bought it, I’m not tight, just careful with my pennies:D

• Like 1

On 1/30/2018 at 21:35, Bayhales said:

Looks like all the Arbortec jackets have been snapped up so on the hunt for something different.

Unless you are wearing guy cottons your not gunna stay dry, you'l get to the first limb and probably pass out wearing them.

I'm all for a conventional hard shell jacket but the thing is it gets expensive wrecking them!

Curious to know whether any one is wearing a single layer system whilst climbing such as paramo, bufallo or anything pile.

For those that don't know basically you wear a shirt, it gets wet your body then warms the moisture up creating a micro climate. so you actually stay wet but warm if you see what I mean.. 

I wear a Montane smock on cold mornings, sometimes start working without changing and immediately regret it. 

They are to hot for physical work in the UK. Maybe in north Scotland it would be okay. One day it got down to -5 and it was still to hot. I now tend to wear it before and after working as its really cosy. 

On 2/3/2018 at 09:26, Jonny69 said:

I wear a Montane smock on cold mornings, sometimes start working without changing and immediately regret it. 

They are to hot for physical work in the UK. Maybe in north Scotland it would be okay. One day it got down to -5 and it was still to hot. I now tend to wear it before and after working as its really cosy. 

Surely going to bet hot for Cornwall then!

Looks like Sorbus have a few arbortecs left aswell.. 

Ah bugger it, just gunna get another hard shell!