Proximal 8441 tractor review?

richy_B

I assume you mean the Zetor Proxima?

no experience of this model, but I have owned 2 zetors in the past and my dad has had several.My experience of them is mixed and I guess it will depend on what you are using it for. Mine had absolutely bulletproof basic engines which never gave me any trouble- zetors are heavily built tractors and have yet to use a tractor that grips like a zetor- I think with the older models the steel was perhaps of poorer quality and they used more of it- every thing was pretty ‘soviet’ on it. Parts are pretty cheap, as are the tractors as they don’t have the following that major brands do- this could stem for their reputation for being unreliable and really rather backwards, but the Polish love them. What really let mine down were the dreadfull dry brakes which the proxima will have moved on from, aux hydraulics were piss poor- again a blight that most older tractors used to have, but perhaps worst of all for me was the use of poor quality seals- this was what really let the tractors down for me and the crap brakes were too dangerous for roadwork.

i would definitely look at zetors again if I was buying but only modern models as I believe they have had to come along way to keep up with the competition. I run a fairly modern 85hp Same tractor and i have found it to be ultra reliable compared to the Zetors I had and many farms and contractors round here are swapping to Same over New Holland’s, ( the two main dealers in this particular area). they (the SDF) tractors are just as good if not better IMO and many others who have made the swap(possibly slightly basic but only in a good way) without the over inflated price tag the main marques demand. 

Matthew has basically hit the nail on the head for the older zetors. I run a 7245 and as he says brakes are horrendous plus they are very slow. Good points are , cheap parts, virtually no fancy electronics to go wrong, can be fixed n field with basic tools, compressor and centrifugal oil filter.

if they have improved the brakes and fitted high speed transmission I think zetors make good forestry tractors.

oh and the cabs are big enough for 3 plus saws which is always handy.

not sure if same' s have true four wheel braking, which would be a bonus. Maybe Matthew knows?

Edited by andy cobb
  • Like 1

Yes, certainly my model of Same dorado 86 has true 4 wheel braking and grips like a mountain goat on a hillside- they are quite quick on the roads too, however they wouldn’t make a good forest tractor- they are quite low to the ground which is great for hillsides but perhaps not so great for stumps but also the have a plastic diesel tank underneath which would need guarding. The Same that is.

I had a zetor 7045 and a 9540 which was the precursor to the proxima range, supposedly the wet brakes were met to be much better but unfortunately they were forever coming out of balance and not great to begin with- but of an eye opener when I moved to the Same.

like I said I wouldn’t discard the idea of a zetor again because they certainly had some good points to them, but just check very carefully the condition of the braking system and if you are planning on running hydraulic attachments make sure it has the pressure- the 7045 was pretty much non existent is this area but in fairness it was 1980 and not many tractors of this era had good hydraulics.

Interesting. I'm a fan of simple mechanics (previously had an AGT for this very reason).

I'm looking for very much mixed use : majority will be mowing/topping. Minor will be pulling dump trailer short distances, chain harrow, running some pto firewood items. It won't do any proper forestry/go into the woods. A pto chipper/shredder might be the next step.

I’m sure the proxima will serve those needs fine. However if you are an AGT owner I can almost guarantee that if you can find a Same Dorado you will fall in love with it- I always think if you could breed a alpine with a conventional tractor you’d end up with a Dorado- Italian engineering with mountainous/alpine terrain very much at the heart of the design.

heres mine at work

A91DAFA3-FF81-45F1-9EBC-4F0F7792E7BF.jpeg

5E729128-A492-4E84-BF55-C641CC086D67.jpeg

Looking at the 8441 on tractor data it says it’s only 30kph, I know some models had a 40kph option- but 30 is slow- painfully slow!
That seems to be quite varying specs. I've seen 30 40 and 45 advertised.

I'm going to look for some Same' s as you recommend. Budget is about £25k so hopefully I should be able to find something decent in the 80-100hp bracket.

Good decision! I bought mine for £19500+vat from our local dealer 4 years ago. It had 1300 hours (nothing) tyres were more or less 90%, it had a quick fit loader with it too. God knows what the previous owner had been doing with it- not a lot by the looks of it- in 4 years iv only had to put a new fan belt on and oil changes. 

With your budget you’ll get a belter, there is the explorer models too but I’d say they were more like a stAndard Farm tractor- higher seating position- don’t feel quite as nice on slopes.

good luck- il keep an eye open for you if I see any decent stuff going for sale