primary help

steknapp

hey guys I have been interested in becoming an arborist for some time now, working with my local council has confirmed this for me now, im just wondering could anyone suggest what I should be doing right now, im trying to gain all of the knowledge I need before my NPTC assessments, such as felling techniques and using different kinds of equipment and tree identification, I haven't yet booked my courses as im saving for them, also would you advise work experience with a local firm? I live in Manchester and would love any onsite work that anyone had, even just to stand well out of the way and ask a couple of questions, so just advice generally for a very keen brand new to the industry 23 year old, thank you in advance, ste!

To get a start, you might do better putting a more prominent post in the general category and, if you can afford to, offer to work a day or two for free, ideally with different companies to gain some varied experience and see who you fit in with.  If you can prove your worth you'll get an opportunity and then you're away. 

As for the other stuff, if you're genuinely interested you'll find just about all the information you'll ever need here; but no-one else will do the learning for you. 

An old hand on here, responding to a similar question to yours, replied saying something like, "for the first year you should keep your mouth filled with marbles", in other words don't be constantly asking questions; look, listen and learn.  Good luck.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, janey said:

Have you considered an apprenticeship? Tbh, it's not something that I know an awful lot about, but there's a bit more info on the AA and RFS sites. 

https://www.trees.org.uk/Careers/Apprenticeships

http://www.rfs.org.uk/study/apprenticeship-providers/

thank you for your advice I going to have a look on these now!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Arob said:

To get a start, you might do better putting a more prominent post in the general category and, if you can afford to, offer to work a day or two for free, ideally with different companies to gain some varied experience and see who you fit in with.  If you can prove your worth you'll get an opportunity and then you're away. 

As for the other stuff, if you're genuinely interested you'll find just about all the information you'll ever need here; but no-one else will do the learning for you. 

An old hand on here, responding to a similar question to yours, replied saying something like, "for the first year you should keep your mouth filled with marbles", in other words don't be constantly asking questions; look, listen and learn.  Good luck.

thanks Arob, I wasn't sure where to post this to be honest, I would be able to do a couple of days work for nothing but I don't know whether to do that before I get my certs or wait until after I've got some tickets as I may be more use, I just want to be there now with anyone that will give me the opportunity, im always watching informational videos on YouTube, trying to learn about tree id, rigging techniques, different cuts, maintenance of saws chains ETC. im just trying to immerse myself ha-ha and loving it, I just need to get on site!

If you're that keen why wait another second?  No need to over-think it, take a punt; you've nothing to lose but time. Yes, maybe some firms won't need what you can offer just now, but some might - why not let them decide? 

If you're smart you'll work out how to fit in and be useful even without tickets - much of the job is in the tidying up.  A decent lad with no tickets is often far more useful than a fool with all the tickets in the world.  But remember it's you who needs to fit in, take a decent jacket, boots, gloves, a hi viz vest, and a decent pruning saw if you can (this would do https://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/products/cutting-edge-trojan-curved-pruning-saw/), stay switched on and enjoy yourself.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Arob said:

If you're that keen why wait another second?  No need to over-think it, take a punt; you've nothing to lose but time. Yes, maybe some firms won't need what you can offer just now, but some might - why not let them decide? 

If you're smart you'll work out how to fit in and be useful even without tickets - much of the job is in the tidying up.  A decent lad with no tickets is often far more useful than a fool with all the tickets in the world.  But remember it's you who needs to fit in, take a decent jacket, boots, gloves, a hi viz vest, and a decent pruning saw if you can (this would do https://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/products/cutting-edge-trojan-curved-pruning-saw/), stay switched on and enjoy yourself.

im currently working at a housing firm as a caretaker and am not enjoying it if im honest, I do have around 12 days paid holiday that id be willing to use, im going to make some calls to local firms and see if I can get something bagged and will be buying a saw, would a lid be advisable also if im on-site

2 minutes ago, Arob said:

If you've got the money for it then by all means buy one (doesn't need to be the fanciest but get a proper one; from Honey Bros, Fr Jones, Gustharts, not something from B&Q!).

yeah honey brothers and Gustharts are probably my favourite websites right about now haha, I've got a few sets of waterproofs so should be good there, I have had some previous experience with the local council, that's what got me right interested! now I've caught the bug xD

• Like 1