Wood pellets instead of road salt

kevinjohnsonmbe

1 hour ago, Gary Prentice said:

I’ve no answers, but do the Scandinavian countries use salt at all? (I didn’t see any when I was there briefly)

I believe they get enough cold weather to justify mandatory tyre changes on veichles, deep enough snow and ice to use chains ect.. would be interesting to know but I can’t personally see wood pellets being used. Salt goes when the weathers warm this would be clogging everything up for months.

Since salt only works to a few degrees below zero it is no use in the Scandinavian climate,

I think they use grit for added traction,(from various images I have come across) possibly moreso on their gravel roads where it does not need to be removed post thaw.

P.S.

Would the wood chip not also cause BOD pollution issues when washed into watercourses.

mth

36 minutes ago, difflock said:

Since salt only works to a few degrees below zero it is no use in the Scandinavian climate,

I think they use grit for added traction,(from various images I have come across) possibly moreso on their gravel roads where it does not need to be removed post thaw.

P.S.

Would the wood chip not also cause BOD pollution issues when washed into watercourses.

mth

Think grit is used in Canada to, stone chipped window screens is the problem with grit though.

Wood chip may not be suitable for wide spread use but I'm sure there areas where it could be used, may be pedestrian areas or car parks etc?

But unless the price drops than it probably won't get used

I love the idea but can see the potential drain issues but as Kevin points out there are far worse drain issues around these parts. Hate salted roads around here. Most of the time they do it the weather ends up being dry but all the salted roads hang wet so spend your time looking for ice patches. When the roads dry you know there is no ice but if you see wet you have to drive as if though there is an ice patch around the corner. Brutal to machines as well. My last processor went rusty almost overnight due to salt. Presure wash the new one down after every road tip in the winter now.

I agree with many of the comments, and I too hate the effects of salt on the underside of my car. 

Potential problems from salt polution? Not so sure, after all its been in use on our roads for the best part of 100 yrs, have there actually been any issues? (Not saying there have not, but I have not heard of any until this)

However, I would much sooner hit a dark looking wet patch on a salted road than a patch of black ice on an unsalted road. I have done both, and believe me, the unsalted road causes more damage to my car, and much quicker.

51 minutes ago, GardenKit said:

However, I would much sooner hit a dark looking wet patch on a salted road than a patch of black ice on an unsalted road. I have done both, and believe me, the unsalted road causes more damage to my car, and much quicker.

Your probably right Barry but they used to put it down and you would wonder what fictional forecast they had been looking at (not had any frights either way but I do drive like a grandad) Then the roads hang wet for a week while our untreated lanes are bone dry. To be fair with the council now being skint they seem to have taken to far less salting of the roads without any obvious issues.

Edited by Woodworks

Just got back from canada were the roads were always ice and compacted snow, no gritting due to the environment just a stone covering in some places. Everyone just drives accordingly and it seems to work. I never saw any accidents. 

I think in the UK we just rush around and then blame the council for the weather 

• Like 3