New business set up

Rachel Alison Downs

Hey guys and gals.

For my sins, I’ve just started to set up my own tree surgery company. I’ve been trying to get insurance but many brokers don’t seem to include our industry. Don’t want to get ripped off (poor welsh economy won’t allow it).

So...most cost effective public liability insurance...that will also insure tools (of a small value initially then look to increase)? Any advice / help much appreciated.

Please like and share my Facebook page: Rachel Downs Tree Surgery

Thanks in advance

Agreed re Trust Insurance. Never had to make a claim, but found them efficient and helpful. Also my premium has stayed the same for ages ? no claims discount, although they never actually refer to this.

I have other policies with NFU, eg domestic + my commercial vehicles and machinery. I rate them highly, they can cover for arb work, but were more expensive than Trust, so I stuck with them.

I think I use Bartlett, and I think I used to use Arborisk (advert on the right hand side).  As above, I've never had to make a claim, but it's been a fairly painless experience getting cover sorted.

I use tradedirect.co.uk (Zurich) for tool cover, mainly because they cover tools left in a vehicle or shed, or if you drop a saw from a tree.  Premiums have shot up hugely over the last couple of years, though.  I think £5k cover costs about £200 depending on the excess.   Again, never had to claim so can't really comment about what is, after all, the most important thing an insurer will do for you.

Remember that if you’re climbing you need a groundie.

That means you need Employers Liability insurance, which is a legal requirement.

PL (which is definitely a good idea) on it’s own is fairly useless in our game.

Trust and Arborisk are two companies that are definitely worth talking to.

Thanks, Steve. 

I think it was Bryant Kesek (or something similar) that I was with when I first started.  I remember now that I wanted to go with Bartlett but they wouldn't insure sole traders for the first two years of trading, or something like that.  At the time they and NFU were the only people I could find who'd offer PL/EL for tree work.  I might have overlooked Trust, or maybe they didn't exist back then?  Given the good opinions of them expressed here, I'll probably see what they offer next time round.