Log Stores - How much?

Brackley Firewood

• 2 weeks later...

Depends how big your making it and if your using hardwood or treated.

Also are your going to make it water proof but allow the air to get through?

Im going to design one so that in the winter the rain cant soak my pile. I dont like the idea of bringing in wet wood from wind driven  rain in the winter. Also going to have a kindling room just to store the kindling which wont need any seasoning and a room for tools and an open section for small cord wood lengths to season. Also a tool room for gardening stuff.Have a look on pinterest then sketch up your idea then you can answer your own question.

I normally use the crates that paving slabs are delivered in, turned on their sides and screwed together. Nice and solid, free and with a bit of felt nailed over the top they have provided excellent drying and storage. 

This last weekend however having run out of space, I have built a custom one, 6 foot high x 3 feet deep x 3 feet wide using new pressure treated timber. Took me a couple of hours to knock together, looks very smart, and all in for the wood and screws cost me £80. Not cheap, but hopefully give me a few years service drying free wood. Much cheaper than buying dried logs (that never seem as dry as my own)!

Good morning 

looking to store wood to dry out now I have a garage and a shed. Can these be used. .? Or do you need something specific. I was advised to get a dual fuel burner . 

Is there any recommendations for logs for drying? 

Cheers Nick 

2 hours ago, Nikk said:

Good morning 

looking to store wood to dry out now I have a garage and a shed. Can these be used. .? Or do you need something specific. I was advised to get a dual fuel burner . 

Is there any recommendations for logs for drying? 

Cheers Nick 

Drying logs is mainly about good airflow. The problem with most garages and sheds is they have next to no airflow. If you buy a tonne of logs you are looking to get rid of around 300 litres of water before they are ready to burn! That water needs to go somewhere hence why you need lots of airflow to carry the water away.

These are the sheds we use to dry logs 

CIMG2310.JPG

I split most of mine and stack them outside for the summer (last year into a circular stack with a roof on... also doubled up for the kids play  house) to let the sun and wind do its work. No specific log store outside (inside yes, to keep the garage a bit tiduer) Then I take a guess when the last of the good weather is here they go into the garage - this year I miss judged it and have a pile of wet wood outside and nothing left inside... so the coal man is getting more business