Drying Firewood when RHI payments stop.

arboriculturist

4 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

Those ECO Angus are nice compact units, whereas the GF is a lumbering inefficient beast. Unfortunately not everyone realises until they have shelled out their hard earnt cash.

They are but we do spent a lot more on it than our Attak boiler and in all honestly it’s not as good either. Firebricks are £50 each (4 in the boiler) and in 3 years I’ve changed them twice. I had to repair the fire bricks in the firebox as they fell

apart (another £200) and they did recommend sending it off to the factory for 3 months and £3000-4000 for a full rebuild ?

You can get the same thing as a eco Angus for half the price. Called Orlan I think, didn’t realise this until I bought the eco Angus. But to be fair the eco Angus guys have been pretty good with after sales. 

4 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

Those ECO Angus are nice compact units, whereas the GF is a lumbering inefficient beast. Unfortunately not everyone realises until they have shelled out their hard earnt cash.

If you think the GF's are bad you see a dragon! Smoke like Thomas the tank engine too!

dont know much about the eco Angus?

Whether particularly pertinent to this thread or not;

I ran a so-called "Solarbayer" gasifying logwood burner for about 10 years, & I hasten to add, NOT under the RHI scheme.

I now reverted to  heating with kero, a 500 gal fill (2250 litres to younguns) has lasted about 18 months, courtsey of self installed underfloor heating, 15 deg Celsius in the hall stairs and landing, and a woodburning Morso in the Garden room, which easily sustains 25 deg centigrade.

Woodburning only makes sense, either on the Micro scale=woodburner in the room, or the Macro scale, but WITHOUT subsidies.

marcusthehat

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ash_smith123 said:

They are but we do spent a lot more on it than our Attak boiler and in all honestly it’s not as good either. Firebricks are £50 each (4 in the boiler) and in 3 years I’ve changed them twice. I had to repair the fire bricks in the firebox as they fell

apart (another £200) and they did recommend sending it off to the factory for 3 months and £3000-4000 for a full rebuild ?

You can get the same thing as a eco Angus for half the price. Called Orlan I think, didn’t realise this until I bought the eco Angus. But to be fair the eco Angus guys have been pretty good with after sales. 

Agreed it's difficult to guage the quality of a boiler just from the marketing and there are few people with varying brands on the forums. price is generally a very good indicator of quality.

Did you originally avoid a Hertz chip boiler like Duffryn due to the very high initial costing and having to get a contractor in to chip combined with stacking soft roundwood up outside for 12 mths + and the huge space for chip required to make the contractor cost effective.

Looks like you split at 20 " then dry ready to feed the ECO - straighforward low cost.

In hindsight I should probably bit the cost bullet, and installed a Froling boiler, or similar quality=purchase cost.

But, when I  was attempting to decide, there were so many snake-oil salesmen, it was impossible to see the wood for the trees. (& pun fully intended!)

sigh.

Edited by difflock