Drying Firewood when RHI payments stop.

arboriculturist

4 hours ago, gdh said:

I was under the impression that RHI was from the UK government not the eu, I could well be wrong but I can't see it stopping anytime soon as it's still available and renewable energy is being pushed more all the time. 

I haven't heard anything about it being stopped for drying logs unless that's to do with the issues with no limits in Northern Ireland. I suspect log drying is a major percentage of claimants and they'll also be the people who supply below 20% moisture wood to the other boilers.

It is administered by UK gov. bodies, but driven by EU parliament directives. Like I have said, existing agreements will be honoured but the end is on the horizon for RHI.

The Tax payer is picking up the tab for all RHI payments remember even though few of them seem to realise it.

51 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

It is administered by UK gov. bodies, but driven by EU parliament directives. Like I have said, existing agreements will be honoured but the end is on the horizon for RHI.

The Tax payer is picking up the tab for all RHI payments remember even though few of them seem to realise it.

I think you're right about RHI, it's already dropped off to less than a third of the original rate so it will probably be phased out soon. It will be interesting to see if/how it's replaced, as you mention tax payers have to pay for these schemes but at the same time more people are voting for green energy policies so there will be pressure for a replacement. 

Interestingly things like the BSL require less than 20% moisture which we couldn't get here consistently without kiln drying and newer stoves designed to lower emissions are recommending dryer logs than that so there could well be grants (hopefully as opposed to regulations) to dry logs.

5 minutes ago, Wendelspanswick said:

If I read that correctly at 0.8 Amps at 50Hz:

0.8 x 0.15p (cost of 1KwH of electricity)

=0.12p per hour

0.12 x 8766 (hours in a year)

=£1052

If you have 3 fans:

=£3156

I think you may have missed out the step where current (amps) is converted into power (watts).

23 hours ago, FJMatt said:

Here's fan details Steve 

_20180126_083015.JPG

Read more  

Edited with the crucial step added!

If I read that correctly at 0.79 Amps at 50Hz:

0.79 x 230V

= 0.182 Kw

0.182 x £0.15 (cost of 1KwH of electricity)

=2.7p per hour

0.027 x 8766 (hours in a year)

=£237

If you have 3 fans:

=£711

55 minutes ago, Wendelspanswick said:
  23 hours ago, FJMatt said:

Here's fan details Steve 

_20180126_083015.JPG

Read more  
Read more  

Edited with the crucial step added!

If I read that correctly at 0.79 Amps at 50Hz:

0.79 x 230V

= 0.182 Kw

0.182 x £0.15 (cost of 1KwH of electricity)

=2.7p per hour

0.027 x 8766 (hours in a year)

=£237

If you have 3 fans:

=£711

That's looks more realistic, 

First go was actually more than my entire electricity bill 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Woodwanter said:

One of the directors of a company that advise OFGEM, spoke to him again last night. The whole Grade A topic has pit more pressure on too.

the consultation was due last Autumn but as ever it was delayed.

the most interesting unheard fact about the whole RHI scene that I have heard is the MP who thought it up - Chris Huhne who later resigned over his purgery speeding case. Word on the street was that he has shares in some very large timber companies in N America. It's been said that he worked out that in a few years, the UK would be very short of enough timber to chip to fuel the RHI's dash for the ash and result in imports from abroad - all very green!

i don't know how true this is but it wouldn't surprise me!

Ummmm- yr not far wrong with that supposition mate , Drax station uses imported N.American wood pellets for bio-electric generation , K