Check a Trade

Nathanzac

• 2 weeks later...
Check a trade, waste of time. 

As far as websites go, find a good designer. A really quick tip I always give is that if a web guy / firm asks you how many pages the website needs at the early stages of 'talks', walk away, they don't know what they are doing. Any designer / web builder with any clue will know that amount of pages is in no way relevant to price. 

Why’s that then? Surly more pages, more content so more time and effort to build it ???? Didn’t know you were so clued up on web design.

I’ve found checkatrade fruitful over the last few years.
I would say last financial year it probably brought in around £50k of trade. Something like that. My membership is about £1200 per year.
It also helps as SEO
If you are on checkatrade and google for a tree surgeon in your town your business is very likely to be in the top 5 results and direct people to your profile on checkatrade.
Well mine does anyway so it helps tick that box too.
Enquiries are slower off it from late but that seems true of all avenues atm.
Of course the best advertising is word of mouth.
Obviously something that’s hard when you start out but comes with time.
It’s certainly the biggest source for my work.

But in answer to the OP. I’d say it’s worth it. Keep the feedback going in and you should get leads.

2 hours ago, Ian C said:

Why’s that then? Surly more pages, more content so more time and effort to build it ???? Didn’t know you were so clued up on web design.

Sorry lads; I had intended to go into more detail on this. I'll give a proper explanation when I've got a bit more time. In its most basic form, the reason we use the 'how many pages do you need?' as one of the really quick ways of weeding out less competent web designers is that by asking the question they are showing that they fundamentally misunderstand what they should be doing. Any designer who asks us how many pages we need isn't going to have the skills / knowledge/ mindset required to build a decent site; they are simply thinking about the process in the wrong way. 

It may appear that a 5 year old can understand that a site with more pages costs more, but we should really be setting our sights a little higher than doing what a 5 year old would understand. And yes, I'm aware of the Einstein quote about being able to explain something to a child of a similar age. 

If there's one thing to learn here, its don't think like a tree surgeon when designing a website. I'll include some very specific examples of this in my fuller response. Arbs almost universally include some simple mistakes on their websites that will undoubtedly harm their conversion rates. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Retired Climber said:

Sorry lads; I had intended to go into more detail on this. I'll give a proper explanation when I've got a bit more time. In its most basic form, the reason we use the 'how many pages do you need?' as one of the really quick ways of weeding out less competent web designers is that by asking the question they are showing that they fundamentally misunderstand what they should be doing. Any designer who asks us how many pages we need isn't going to have the skills / knowledge/ mindset required to build a decent site; they are simply thinking about the process in the wrong way. 

It may appear that a 5 year old can understand that a site with more pages costs more, but we should really be setting our sights a little higher than doing what a 5 year old would understand. And yes, I'm aware of the Einstein quote about being able to explain something to a child of a similar age. 

If there's one thing to learn here, its don't think like a tree surgeon when designing a website. I'll include some very specific examples of this in my fuller response. Arbs almost universally include some simple mistakes on their websites that will undoubtedly harm their conversion rates. 

I am not sure I can hold by breath that long,,,, hurry up!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1