Production promo video

ash_smith123

13 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

Thanks for sharing that - not many would!

Very similar to our setup without the mud - but with nice buildings.

I am interested why you empty your dry Firewood into a heap, rather than tipping the dry Firewood straight from the IBCs onto the truck.

Thanks for your comments! I’m glad you all like the setup. It’s definately not perfected yet, still a long way to go!

Ahh the mud!! I can’t wait to move somewhere with a concrete yard.?

We empty the cages to keep a rotation going, we’ve only got about 250 crates so I need them all full and 2 big piles before the winter starts. I don’t really have the room for another 250 crates to store and using the bucket to load the truck is really quick and easy. I can load up 3 cube and be on my way in less than 5 minutes. 

Also in the area we tip I used to fit about 90-100 crates but I can fit about 250 cubic metres in that bay so I can get far more wood in it, inside space is a premium for us. 

We don’t have a rotator unfortunately but I just flip the crates with the jcb, it’s easy with a bit of practice! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ash_smith123 said:

Thanks for your comments! I’m glad you all like the setup. It’s definately not perfected yet, still a long way to go!

Ahh the mud!! I can’t wait to move somewhere with a concrete yard.?

We empty the cages to keep a rotation going, we’ve only got about 250 crates so I need them all full and 2 big piles before the winter starts. I don’t really have the room for another 250 crates to store and using the bucket to load the truck is really quick and easy. I can load up 3 cube and be on my way in less than 5 minutes. 

Also in the area we tip I used to fit about 90-100 crates but I can fit about 250 cubic metres in that bay so I can get far more wood in it, inside space is a premium for us. 

We don’t have a rotator unfortunately but I just flip the crates with the jcb, it’s easy with a bit of practice! 

Its uncanny how different peoples setups hundreds of miles apart can end up to be so similar in appearance, even down to the wheelbarrow under the screener on the Posch!

Promo videos are always hard to get just right. I would love to produce one but just don't have the time, but when I do I will try to put myself in the customer's shoes when working on the story board stage.

Are you now running 2 kilns inside and de-commissioned the container outside?

The new kilns look like they are ply lined - does this not degrade?

That video was a result, especially produced by an amateur friend - so well done to them, nice work.

11 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

Its uncanny how different peoples setups hundreds of miles apart can end up to be so similar in appearance, even down to the wheelbarrow under the screener on the Posch!

Promo videos are always hard to get just right. I would love to produce one but just don't have the time, but when I do I will try to put myself in the customer's shoes when working on the story board stage.

Are you now running 2 kilns inside and de-commissioned the container outside?

The new kilns look like they are ply lined - does this not degrade?

That video was a result, especially produced by an amateur friend - so well done to them, nice work.

Yes looking back I would have changed a few things but it was last minute and we only did half a days filming. I would have put a brush around the place and tidied up if I had more time! ?

no unfortunately not, the outside kiln is still running but not as good as the inside one. I just can’t be arsed with the RHI paperwork to move it inside and change the pipe work! 

Yes the inside ones are ply lined, the new one next to it is being built to dry kindling as we do t have the capacity to dry our Wholesale kindling. Hopefully should be ready in the next few weeks. 

No they don’t degrade at all, I plaster the inside in SBR every couple of months and it seems to be holding 4 years on. 

3 hours ago, ash_smith123 said:

Yes looking back I would have changed a few things but it was last minute and we only did half a days filming. I would have put a brush around the place and tidied up if I had more time! ?

no unfortunately not, the outside kiln is still running but not as good as the inside one. I just can’t be arsed with the RHI paperwork to move it inside and change the pipe work! 

Yes the inside ones are ply lined, the new one next to it is being built to dry kindling as we do t have the capacity to dry our Wholesale kindling. Hopefully should be ready in the next few weeks. 

No they don’t degrade at all, I plaster the inside in SBR every couple of months and it seems to be holding 4 years on. 

It looks like production runs like a well oiled machine, we have far more vibration here but honing the process.

Moving towards 100% air dried is the distant way forward, as rising costs of labour, electricity and softwood make it far more attractive if you have plenty of space, plus it ticks all the environmental boxes.

9 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

It looks like production runs like a well oiled machine, we have far more vibration here but honing the process.

Moving towards 100% air dried is the distant way forward, as rising costs of labour, electricity and softwood make it far more attractive if you have plenty of space, plus it ticks all the environmental boxes.

Maybe but I don’t fancy spending £100k on crates - 2000 cube a year plus nets and kindling so say - 4000 x £25 for 2 rotations. I would need 2 rotations for the winter after the one that is dry (if that makes sense) and I don’t know what sort of yard/unit you would need to store that much processed wood. Also from my experience drying wood outside isn’t the best either, you would always need a few months inside to finish off. Rent around here is expensive and a unit that size you’ll be looking at £50-60k+vat and rates at 50%. It’s just not viable for me. If Softwood prices went up and it made a cubic metre £20 to dry instead of £10 I would just put up my prices by £10. 

I’ve put my prices up this year for the first time in 5 years and we are busier than ever. 

I also get an extra £21 per cubic metre for kiln dried hardwood so I would also loose that extra as well. I’m here to make a living and that means we have to make a profit. I understand we have all got to do a bit for the environment but me burning a bit of Softwood to be able to sell extremely dry hardwood isn’t going to change global warming. 

4 hours ago, ash_smith123 said:

Maybe but I don’t fancy spending £100k on crates - 2000 cube a year plus nets and kindling so say - 4000 x £25 for 2 rotations. I would need 2 rotations for the winter after the one that is dry (if that makes sense) and I don’t know what sort of yard/unit you would need to store that much processed wood. Also from my experience drying wood outside isn’t the best either, you would always need a few months inside to finish off. Rent around here is expensive and a unit that size you’ll be looking at £50-60k+vat and rates at 50%. It’s just not viable for me. If Softwood prices went up and it made a cubic metre £20 to dry instead of £10 I would just put up my prices by £10. 

I’ve put my prices up this year for the first time in 5 years and we are busier than ever. 

I also get an extra £21 per cubic metre for kiln dried hardwood so I would also loose that extra as well. I’m here to make a living and that means we have to make a profit. I understand we have all got to do a bit for the environment but me burning a bit of Softwood to be able to sell extremely dry hardwood isn’t going to change global warming. 

The debate on kiln and air drying has been raging on here for years and most of us can see both sides. A lot depends on where your current setup / investment lies. But the cost of buying AND filling 2000 + IBC's is prohibitive except for the very few.   

Agreed even 100m3 needs a footprint of 6m x 7 m. Fortunately we have space here, but there is a limit.

We dry a significant amount outside and provided it gets covered before the rains arrive there is no problem at all. Valley bottom site may differ of course.

Enjoying the debate, even though drifted off thread as happens.