Lathe Upgrade

flames

- yeah the wheels are castors with a ratchet jack foot in the centre - to make it easy to move about as my workshop space in limited, they work very nicely.

Outboard; I should be able to turn a cylinder diameter 700mm x 700mm long, big enough. ?

Really nice looking machine (and platter, btw).  Have you made it variable speed?

On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 06:34, flames said:

Outboard; I should be able to turn a cylinder diameter 700mm x 700mm long, big enough. ?

That sounds scary.  Should be a good test for the castors!

Edit:

I looked at the facebook pics - very impressive work.  The outboard rig looks awesome.

Did you have to machine a new spindle for it?  Good opportunity for a more standard thread pitch, I suppose, but that must have been so much work.

Not sure about the colour.  Couldn't you source any pink?

Edited by onetruth

17 hours ago, onetruth said:

Really nice looking machine (and platter, btw).  Have you made it variable speed?

That sounds scary.  Should be a good test for the castors!

Edit:

I looked at the facebook pics - very impressive work.  The outboard rig looks awesome.

Did you have to machine a new spindle for it?  Good opportunity for a more standard thread pitch, I suppose, but that must have been so much work.

Not sure about the colour.  Couldn't you source any pink?

Thanks, yes I run it from a Teco inverter - awesome bit of kit. Castors are 1/4 or 1/2 tonne capacity, so should be a problem for big stuff.

Yes made a new spindle, there should be some pics of that in the FB album. I dislike standard threaded spindle noses, as you can only turn one direction, which I find very restrictive. The chucks are direct mounted, so are solidly connected to the spindle and can not unscrew.

Colour is anthracite - partners favorite, brownie points earned :-) 

Cheers