Peasgood

2 hours ago, silky fox said:

I've watched several videos of some bloke doing it to great effect.Very interested to give it a go....

Since it was first suggested here I have done quite a few, mostly successfully. I also had a collection of gomtaro300 blades which had been discarded at work by the climbers, rightly so as they cannot afford to mess about, and have sharpened them and handed them out as gifts.

One was subsequently badly blunted by my mate who lives as a cruiser on the waterways, he cut loads of branches for his stove with it.

As it was so blunt I attacked it with a dremel and diamond disc, he says it cuts better now than when I first gave it to him a year ago.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Stere said:

https://www.silky-europe.com/diy/silky-file

sharpening_instructions.jpg

Differrent advice  sharpening for  pro user and common one  9_9

Oops my Gomtaro and the bigboy aren't sharpenable, I wish I'd known that before I sharpened them. Then again it may have put me off and I'd have bought new blades.

What is the criteria for one to be sharpenable?

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

What is the criteria for one to be sharpenable?

The theory is that the impulse hardened teeth of blades such as the Gomtaro can't be sharpened because you will be taking off that outer hardening in the process.

In practice I found the sharpening lasts as long as a new blade is sharp, or very similar. No doubt at some point you will get down to softer metal but if you can get a few more lives out of a blade why not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peasgood said:

The theory is that the impulse hardened teeth of blades such as the Gomtaro can't be sharpened because you will be taking off that outer hardening in the process.

In practice I found the sharpening lasts as long as a new blade is sharp, or very similar. No doubt at some point you will get down to softer metal but if you can get a few more lives out of a blade why not.

Yes my view too.

Why are some impulse hardened and others not? Is the steel different?

I'm tempted to build an induction coil and see about hardening stuff (and for freeing rusty nuts).

• Like 1