Peasgood

3 hours ago, Stere said:

I have the Sugoi XL getting abit blunt now though, but supposedly its one of the ones that can be sharpend, not the best for apples trees wrong tpi too coarse

The Zubat I got has the same tpi as the Sugoi XL according to what I can see. It all gets rather confusing with lots of variations within each model. I am using mine on anything from just under 2" upt to 6" or so but mostly 3-4" branches. I have some electric secateurs and they will do all the stuff upto nearly 2". It will do a neat cut on bigger stuff and also on smaller stuff if you are careful, Gomtaro is neater on the smaller stuff.

As for sharpening, the Gomtaro is supposedly unsharpenable but I have successfully sharpened mine plenty of times using a cheap (fiver-ish) diamond feather file off Amazon. A bit of a fiddly job but 15 minutes work that results in "as new" sharpness.

I'm no expert at such things, you can see the tooth profile so just file the top face flat to take out any blunt edge.

• Like 1

Have you ever tried?

I wouldn't claim it as a skill, I just had a go and it worked out. If you look at the tooth you can see the flat plane that leads up to the pointy bit, the bit that catches your finger. That flat plane gets rounded or chipped on the pointy bit which makes it blunt.

All you do is angle the file to take that surface down a bit, taking it down so the rounded or chipped edges are not there anymore. Literally 3-4 gentle strokes of the file on each tooth. It is fiddly especially if your eyesight is ageing and you have fat fingers.

Having tried it in a vice I find it easier to just hold in my hand. Do all the teeth on one side and then turn it around for the other.

Files cost naff all, less than £4 off ebay and compared to the price of a new blade it's a no brainer to at least have a go.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIAMOND-FEATHER-EDGE-TILE-FILE-SHAPING-REMOVING-EDGE-WOOD-FILE-85MM-UK-NEW-U203/272834200835?hash=item3f862f8503:g:YakAAOxy7nNTRF9G

• Like 3