Peasgood

I've had a Gomtaro for pruning apples for some years but the trees I am working on at the moment need big cuts. The Gomtaro isn't aggressive enough so I am using my Stihl turbocut without the extension.

It does the job but not a good handle to use all day.

What Silky is a similar size and about as aggressive as a turbocut? I definitely don't want a bigger blade, just a nicer handle really and not those bark cutting blades on each end.

• Like 1

Ok...Far more aggressive. I'm 100% certain this little beauty is the answer.I haven't yet as it was my leaving gift from Premier Trees and may become an expensive keepsake.The Zubat Arborist Proffessional.Larger teeth than the bog standard will certainly fly through branches.I like to think i'm an expert when it comes to handsaws.It is my favourite of all our Arboricultural armoury.And cut and hold is my favourite pruning discipline.I'll stake my reputation that this will be a contender! 607d41f49587705cccfb7de811f60b41.jpg6375067b3631c2557767fdf16c093c01.jpgbe3b132c4a98110fae323230d77c1daa.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply @silky fox

Since posting my question I found the Honey brothers site gives the details of each saw to compare. From there I had kind of narrowed down my selection to Sugoi, Sugowaza or Ibuki. Have you used any of them to compare with the Zubat?

Gomtaro has 8 teeth/30mm, Zubat 7.5 and the other three step up to 6.5. 

Maybe the curve of the Zubat blade gives it more of an advantage over the straight Gomtaro as well as the teeth pitch.

Every time I think I have decided something makes me change my mind again. Arrrggghhh! Perhaps my chainsaw is the real answer but I don't like the finish or the noise.

Flat blade means you can make a gob cut/ felling cut! Curved blade although good at cutting makes precise cuts difficult.

I have gomotoro but I only use it when I don’t want to use my top handle saw (very rarely)! If your new to this u will use ur silky more but u don’t want to end up depending on it! Get a gomtaro and use it only when u need to!

Sorry didn’t read the first post
The first handsaw i ever bought which was well over 20 years ago and would be my first choice everytime without question,would be the Silky Nakanoto 60.I regard this as the Legend amongst Silky's.Finest SK4 Carbon steel i have uses this amazing saw instead of a top handle on many occasions.You can produce fast precision cuts.Rapid and Aggresive.My number one choice......But in amswer to the original post,i would suggest Zubat Arborist Pro....[emoji269]95a1b37ff12ffa7f73382d948065f1be.jpg

4 minutes ago, silky fox said:

The first handsaw i ever bought which was well over 20 years ago and would be my first choice everytime without question,would be the Silky Nakanoto 60.I regard this as the Legend amongst Silky's.Finest SK4 Carbon steel i have uses this amazing saw instead of a top handle on many occasions.You can produce fast precision cuts.Rapid and Aggresive.My number one choice......But in amswer to the original post,i would suggest Zubat Arborist Pro....emoji269.png95a1b37ff12ffa7f73382d948065f1be.jpg

that is a nice saw but the sheath sucks, unless they have updated it like they have a lot of the others. due to the white knob it will only go in one way round.

3 hours ago, silky fox said:

.....But in amswer to the original post,i would suggest Zubat Arborist Pro....

I have ordered one, should be with me tomorrow.

In an above post of mine I quoted the teeth per 30mm of various models, with further research the Zubat Arborist has 5.5/30mm which is more aggressive than all the others yet the Zubat is quoted elsewhere as 7.5.

It gets very confusing without having the actual blade in front of you.

• Like 1

I could show you a comparisson picture but if you get one tommorow you will be very pleased.Excellent choice and please let us know what you think.If you are using up a height and cant free fall a cut or can't position your hand at a safe distance on a held section then flip a sling around it. You won't get cut if you use it correctly.And never put so much pressure at the finnish of the cut or the saw will follow through which is a common mistake.Used with safety in mind they are the true Arborist's precision tool.Happy cuttin'[emoji269]

All my work is done from the floor and if it is a particularly heavy branch I shorten it first. Big chunks fallen out of control always rip the bark. I don’t want that, I don’t do that. 

I have 16 acres of mature traditional apples that require some heavy pruning. 5 acres already done. 

Been doing this for nearly 40 years, very rare I use a chainsaw as the cuts don’t heal so well. 

• Like 1