Edelrid tree magic

Buffybill

Hi all, very new to this so bear with me, I have a Edelrid tree magic 2 harness. Think it was made in 2010. Hasn’t had much work maybe 10 times in a tree. Would it be recommended to get a new one or would this be fine to use every day for the next year? No wear on the harness. Thanks

When did you first use the harness?

The harness should come with manufacturer recomndations as too when it should be retired,usually 5 years for harnesses if i remember rightly.

You could take it to a loler inspector to see if its still fit for purpose although id say most loler guys would fail it due to its age.

Remember some of the pieces on the harness will degrade with time irrelevant of how much it is used or where its stored.

Is it really worth the risk using it?

If it were me id bin it and buy new.

Edited by stihlmadasever

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have an old Willans harness (generously donated to me on here and still does the job) that I use to anchor myself and I dread to think how old it is, I would be happy to use an eight year old one :D 

Edited by peatff

5 years or manufacturers guidance (less) if specified. All textiles are 5 years max to pass loler. I had a tree magic 2 harness, changed to a skylotec kolibri multi slide (2d) harness and it is similar, slightly more comfortable, easier to put on, but a bit more cumbersome, I liked the streamlined feel of the tree magic when in conifers etc. ?

If someone presented this to me and I could see that it had been stored correctly and was in ‘new’ condition.
I would look at:
1. Date of manufacture
2.. Date of first use.
3. Frequency of use.
4. Condition of harness, paying particular attention to the bridge and safety critical components.
5. Taking into account all of the above I may issue a certificate that goes (slightly) beyond the 5 years expiry. (In this case 3 years may be stretching it a bit far)
Sometimes I think we can too quick to be like robots as Loler examiners just for the sake of ticking boxes.
Conversely, If I knew someone was production climbing every day and their harness was getting hammered, I might ,for their sake, retire it before the recommended date.
Just some thoughts......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 years later...

just found this looking for something else, so 

5 years max, rubbish, only use this when you cant find the relevant user instructions.

Edelrid is going like Petzl 12 years shelf life 10 years use subject to passing regular inspections

i would hate to condemn something with two years of life left in it due to miss information