Most exciting thing you have done ?

maria warwick

Seems an odd one but dont think anything has matched catching my first Salmon. I watched it follow and take the fly, then spent 15min playing it in. Only about 16 at the time and I still feel excited thinking back to it now. Just the smell of a river in spate can get my heart racing.

For adrenaline filled excitement it would be windsurfing out on the open water and in rough weather. A combination of excitement and terror at times. One memorable day was some years ago having dropped my sail in the middle of the Camel estuary with large fishing boat bearing down on me. Due to the swell the guy had little chance of seeing me floundering in the water. Had to water start (using the sail to lift you out the water) hastily having recently acquired the skill but in much quieter conditions. Amazing how fear can focus the mind and got up and out the way in time.

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Stubby said:

That ( Packard built ) RR Merlin still sounds awesome and I hear one practically everyday ! . 

Where do you hear that, Duxford?

Here are a couple more from my excursion in Florida at Kissimmee in 1992 with Lee Lauderback up front (thank goodness!)  Cockpit view of that take off then touch and go at Winterhaven. 

Was not quite expecting that vertical take-off and stomach somewhat left behind!

Not too noisy in the cockpit, better sound to the folk on the ground I think.

1 minute ago, Billhook said:

Where do you hear that, Duxford?

Here are a couple more from my excursion in Florida at Kissimmee in 1992 with Lee Lauderback up front (thank goodness!)  Cockpit view of that take off then touch and go at Winterhaven. 

Was not quite expecting that vertical take-off and stomach somewhat left behind!

Not too noisy in the cockpit, better sound to the folk on the ground I think.

Goodwood air field West Sussex .  There are 2 resident Spifires  2 Harvords ( they have a bark on them ) and during the summer months a Mustang flies in  and then they take off together . I just watch out of my loft velux . 

On 22/01/2018 at 19:46, maria warwick said:

Just tried my hand at Skeleton bobsleigh , in Canada.

Was wicked ! Reached 99.7 km/h ? B51879EF-32E4-458C-A41F-42A6147602A0.thumb.jpeg.c195a66f2b3977b075c5042e424b72b5.jpeg

DC58BCE4-B54D-4FA3-837C-24F5788C49F6.jpeg.3d7744633b04efd3dc4c00f599ccc54a.jpeg26234C9D-7C69-44CB-9232-0A081C795E0B.thumb.jpeg.adea9d9aff53861a84c3b23ab232b4a9.jpeg

Well done Maria!  Takes a lot of courage to do that.

I had a bit of Dutch courage before I was forced by some "friends" to go down the Cresta  (from the beginners halfway point not the top!)  Still came out on the Shuttlecock bend several times and ended up in the straw.  Lt Colonel Digby Willoughby (sounds like a cartoon character!) then played the Beatles "I wanna hold your hand" over the tannoy.

Eventually made it round to charge down the finishing straight.

Never measured the speed just the time but I do remember that we were going so fast that you only needed to turn your head in the direction you wanted to go and the slipstream off your helmet pushed you over to that side.  We wore metal knuckle plates to protect our hands from the ice wall but I see you wisely had your hands behind you.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Goodwood air field West Sussex .  There are 2 resident Spifires  2 Harvords ( they have a bark on them ) and during the summer months a Mustang flies in  and then they take off together . I just watch out of my loft velux . 

Very envious as you have all the old cars (and pretty ladies) at the Festival of Speed and Revival.   Too far for me I am afraid but we are near Coningsby and see the BBMF and near East Kirkby which has a Lancaster  "Just Jane" which does taxi runs.  There is a museum there and they also have a "Pistons and Props" every year and the Mustangs are a regular feature.

I think this was a father and son double take off and it blew my hat off then blew my chair away when I went to pick up my hat.  

Harvard first followed by the two Mustangs!  Spine tingling!

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Billhook said:

Very envious as you have all the old cars (and pretty ladies) at the Festival of Speed and Revival.   Too far for me I am afraid but we are near Coningsby and see the BBMF and near East Kirkby which has a Lancaster  "Just Jane" which does taxi runs.  There is a museum there and they also have a "Pistons and Props" every year and the Mustangs are a regular feature.

I think this was a father and son double take off and it blew my hat off then blew my chair away when I went to pick up my hat.  

Harvard first followed by the two Mustangs!  Spine tingling!

image.png

image.png

Wonderful . Another memorable sound when at the Revival is the V16 BRM !