Floorboards/grand fir

kav

Good evening.

A friend has just asked if I can mill some floorboards. I have a load of oak but also have some scots and grand fir in the yard. The fir is in nice big straight butts but growth rings look massive- would it be worth milling either for flooring or anything else. Was thinking of just banging out some big beams and getting them treated to build a new shed.

Thanks

2 hours ago, kav said:

Good evening.

A friend has just asked if I can mill some floorboards. I have a load of oak but also have some scots and grand fir in the yard. The fir is in nice big straight butts but growth rings look massive- would it be worth milling either for flooring or anything else. Was thinking of just banging out some big beams and getting them treated to build a new shed.

Thanks

Grand fir is very weak, I could only get rid of it for potato boxes. Nothing wrong with scots pine.

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 19:53, openspaceman said:

Grand fir is very weak, I could only get rid of it for potato boxes. Nothing wrong with scots pine.

Yeah thats what I guessed. I might make hedging stakes out of it as they only need to do a year or 2

I like a bit of Grandis. I bet it'll make nice boards that will age nicely, I'd be keener on that than Scots, which is more likely to go blue and gooey.

I've used Grandis for plenty of chunky studwork for big walls and cheap building work in the current workshop. It's woolly and not going to win mega strength prizes but has more spring and bounce to it than Sequoia and a couple of others. It's very similar to fast grown whitewood commercial CLS stud frmaing timber.

The Yanks throw all the Abies Firs in with Hemlock and have a general cheap stud category called Hem/Fir. Granted, it's likely to be slower grown, but if you were to oversize the boards a bit I bet it'd do the job well.

http://www.wwpa.org/western-lumber/species/hem-fir-(white-fir)