aviva insurance

markieg31

As some may have seen in another post i was hit by an uninsured driver. Now it seriously narks me off that the police didnt seem that fussed when it was a hit and run and it narked me off further whan i found out he was uninsured and the police still didnt seem fussed.  Now i thought both of those were an offence in there own right. Seems that i am actuially the berk in the whole affair as the other driver has had no repercussions, unless find out where he lives, and i have been left with a broken vehicle, loss of earnings and loss of time. 

Now i am fully comp so can claim on my insurance but obviously they will just add any costs paid out onto my premium so i will pay it back and more in the long run. So i will probably be looking at repairing it out of my own pocket. Now if i was uninsured like the other driver i would have saved loads of money by not paying for insurance in the first place, again who has the right idea here, the law abiding citizen is the one that is loosing out.

But i contacted my insurance over a week ago, a shout out to aviva, who said they have contacted the engineer department who should ring me to arrange a viewing of my pick up to value it. Now i have contacted them a couple of times this week and i still await the phone call. This in my opinion is just not good enough. the service is just too slow. Luckily i have a good stock of subcontracting to fall back onto other wise i would be up poop creek without a paddle. 

Now i have written off two vehicles in the past, low value vehicles so a broken indicator would have been enough to write off, and it was simple. I phoned up to report the accident they asked about damage. the next day i would get a call and they would offer a value for the vehicle, i would then barter until it was realistic and then the money would be transferred to my account. Quick and simple.

Not the way with aviva. I will not be renewing with them!

Quite likely unrealistic but in theory you have the civil route to take against the uninsured driver:  as everyone knows he/she is such I take it you do indeed have the index of their vehicle.

That the Police aren't apparently interested in uninsured drivers is... not good.  Having no insurance is one of the basics that is never ignored in my experience.  Have you made unpleasant noises to them about it?  It can work!

The courts take it seriously and they are often the driver for Police levels of commitment.

• Like 1

If you are going to pursue this (and why wouldn't you?) keep that piece of paper.  Not a bad idea either to have your wife sign, date and time it ('now', not the date/time of the incident).  Keep the phone pic of it too.

A signed and dated detailed record of the incident by those present (no conferring) could only help.  Stick to what you can personally attest to, not what someone else has told you.

• Like 1