Small chipper help

bumble B

10 hours ago, PeteB said:

Go for the GM (okay, I am biased, but it will hold value and be worth something in the future).

A new start up here over West is going for one of those generic 15hp chippers marketed under any-one of a double dozen brands. Lumag being his choice. We wait to see what will come of this choice and if it is £1500 well spent or well flushed down the tubes. 

Meanwhile, any-one got a price forxa Haecksler 4 with the Vtwin18hp Vanguard? I emailed in the course of research for said new startup but got nowt back.

Ty

18 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

A new start up here over West is going for one of those generic 15hp chippers marketed under any-one of a double dozen brands. Lumag being his choice. We wait to see what will come of this choice and if it is £1500 well spent or well flushed down the tubes. 

Meanwhile, any-one got a price forxa Haecksler 4 with the Vtwin18hp Vanguard? I emailed in the course of research for said new startup but got nowt back.

Ty

Last year when I was thinking of getting a small chipper I phoned them up and was told they'd be about four grand including VAT..

As to all these small chippers, the problem is getting them onto/into a trailer or back of a van.. its something of a nightmare if your asking me..   Its ok if theres two of you but on your own its a nuisance..

I'm torn between putting a trailer chassis on mine or installing an electric winch in the back of the van to get it on a trailer..

As always theres a compromise somewhere to think on...   

Speaking of those generic Chinese chippers, my main concern would be the engine, after that access to the blades..   I think for the most part they're bit lighter as well, which I have to be honest is gotta be a plus.   

1 minute ago, Vespasian said:

I'm torn between putting a trailer chassis on mine or installing an electric winch in the back of the van to get it on a trailer..

you wouldn't need an electric winch, with my last stump grinder (which wasn't self propelled) I could get it onto the back of a transit up scaffold boards easily with a hand winch like this 

81siaQO57PL._SL1500_.jpg

11 minutes ago, dan494 said:

you wouldn't need an electric winch, with my last stump grinder (which wasn't self propelled) I could get it onto the back of a transit up scaffold boards easily with a hand winch like this 

81siaQO57PL._SL1500_.jpg

I've got one of them on my trailer..  

Maybe its my age but I fancy gettin it on by pressing a button, I can then guide it on by hand when it pulls to one side..  

Edited by Vespasian

Last year when I was thinking of getting a small chipper I phoned them up and was told they'd be about four grand including VAT..

As to all these small chippers, the problem is getting them onto/into a trailer or back of a van.. its something of a nightmare if your asking me..   Its ok if theres two of you but on your own its a nuisance..

As always theres a compromise somewhere to think on...   

Speaking of those generic Chinese chippers, my main concern would be the engine, after that access to the blades..   I think for the most part they're bit lighter as well, which I have to be honest is gotta be a plus.   

What did you get in the end?

I was always looking at the costs of chippers. I looked at a lot of cheaper ones and I always went back to the greenmech cs100. I thought if I couldn’t pay off in one go get a very small loan from the bank and buy the best I can. I am always thinking buy good buy once or pay double for the cheaper versions.

• Like 2