Small chipper help

bumble B

2 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Spoke to greenmech today,
Very friendly and helpful!
Still can't decide.
This is my thinking:
5k for a really decent chipper. Quality machine, good resale etc.
Or
Hyundai 14hp chipper 1.5k
Hyundai stump grinder 1.3k
Logosol farmers mill 1.4k

I don't use a chipper everyday.

But the GM guy did mention a 2nd hand one for 3.5 k

Thoughts?

I have the Hyundai chipper. I like it, it works for my occasional use- maybe once a month. It works well and I like using it. I will say that I got it incredibly cheap as my mate is a Hyundai re-seller, so that was a big factor! 

Parts supply(only service parts and blades) has been an issue, but it is now sorted. 

Build quality is fine for the price.

There is another make, I think it's lumag? That sell a very similar model with a directional spout and that would be very handy! 

I have also bought the Hyundai stump grinder, but I haven't used it yet. If it is as good as the chipper I will be very pleased, and I don't see why it won't.

A cs100 must be a better machine, but it's also 3 times the price, which one is best for an individual/business is a how long is a piece of string question?  

Edited by william127

I hired a Timberwolf 13/75 when thinking about chippers, and echoing others comments I found 3 problems: heavy machine means hard to move around and get on a trailer, small chute which narrows makes it a pain to feed stuff in, and as a 3" chipper it is actually only happy to chip 1 1/2 to 2" without being really careful.

My solution - JoBeau M500. Self propelled so drives itself onto the trailer, 24hp engine will chip up to 5" diameter, infeed chute is 50cm wide by 15cm tall so you can shove branches in and let the chipper do the work - I never use loppers to feed this. Above 3" is firewood and it will eat anything smaller with ease as the chute is so wide. Stuff like poplar you can hardly feed in as fast as it eats it.

I believe the degree to which the chipper self feeds is the key to productivity - if you can throw a stick in and let go then you are picking up the next piece ready while it chips. This means it needs to grab in, but also be powerful enough to chip and eject without slowing and blocking. As a test I would suggest scots pine or leylandii.

The only problem with the M500 is there aren't many second hand ones around, but I paid just under £3k for mine and I know the bloke I bought if off didn't pay much more 2 years earlier. It's about 8 years old - built solid and to last.

I looked at CS100, the chute looks narrow to me which would mean hard work to feed unless straight sticks. My second choice was Haeksler, they have a 40cm wide chute machine but having bought a JoBeau I would also look at the M400.

If you can afford to stump up the extra initially then the overall cost of ownership is the cheapest out there on the CS100.

I'm not sure if you are VAT registered but for the purpose of this lets assume not... 5k will get you a new machine as previously mentioned, there is a used machine on the GM website for sale on behalf of a customer for 3.5k. I am also assuming that the seller here is also not VAT registered as there is no mention of VAT. Just a straight sale price of 3.5k.

If you were to purchase a new or demonstrator CS100 now in a handful of years time it'll be worth 3.5k if you look after it. That's a total depreciation of £1500 which includes you having to swallow 20% VAT of around £800. You'll be enjoying working with the best machine on the market for those years and earning good money from it. It will come with three years warranty plus great back up from your local dealer and GreenMech themselves.

You can take out finance through your local GM dealer or maybe take out a 0% credit card and set yourself up a direct debit for the next 24 months, easy to pay it off early too...

Or spend 1.5k-2k on a cheap chipper, get frustrated with it, not be able to achieve all the jobs you bought it for and then accept its fit for scrap in a couple of years time...  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

I looked at CS100, the chute looks narrow to me which would mean hard work to feed unless straight sticks. My second choice was Haeksler, they have a 40cm wide chute machine but having bought a JoBeau I would also look at the M400.

Unfortunately that's incorrect, the CS100 has an infeed chute of 600mm wide x 450mm high and an infeed throat size of 315mm wide x 160mm high. It is classed as a 4" / 100mm wood chipper but having a letter box infeed of 315mm x 160mm (Over 12" x 6") you can get some serious armfuls of brash in to it... :thumbup:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, inthewoods said:

How many days a week does it work? 

Twice a week if not more from October , I know were you coming from asking but

I paid £1200 ex demo 4 years ago and it well and truly paid for itself without paying 5k and possibly finance for some folk .

The Op needs to consider is it going to sit idle for weeks and can he afford 5k when job goes slack .

And today it's earning its keep .

Ste. 

20180123_113928.jpg

20180123_113836.jpg

Edited by IVECOKID

6 minutes ago, bazoo132 said:

I'm in the same boat of what to buy. I seen this one and it looks like a CS100 Copy. I was fancying the new version of the Hyundi but they are out of stock until late March.

Looking at the pictures and the description of that are they suggesting its safe to road tow?! It should really be clearly described as not for highway towing...